jbrandy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Help need more digital camera advice.....

I am looking to buy a new digital camera. I'm frustrated with the speed at which my camera takes pictures -- I either want a faster point and shoot or I may bite the bullet and get a SLR. I was leaning toward a Canon Rebel Xti but am not sure I'm ready for such a big camera. Any one have any suggestions or recommendations? If I don't get the SLR I want something that takes pictures quickly with little lag time between shots.

I have read many old posts but with all the new cameras coming out everyday I thought I'd see what everything things about the cameras that are out on the market now.

Thanks!
    Beth

DS 4-4-03
    DS 4-18-07

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Help need more digital camera advice.....

I bought a Fuji F40d to compliment my Nikon D50 DSLR for when I don't want the heft of the Nikon.

I've been very happy with the shutter lag time on the Fuji - sure the pics aren't as nice as a DSLR but that's a given for any P & S when you consider how much smaller the sensor is vs. a DSLR.
    ~Bill

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have the Canon XTi and we really love it. I can't really call myself an experienced DSLR photographer at this point, but the pretty much zero shutter delay is worth it. The camera does FAR more than I will ever need it to do, but we love the speed. We still use our Nikon digital P&S when I don't want to lug around the Canon (which IS pretty big and d/n fit well in my purse, LOL!), but we have no regrets.

ETA: I purchased the kit from Buydig.com I also got 2 other lenses from Amazon.com. Pleased with both transactions. Don't ask what lenses I have -- I have no clue. One is big, one is small. Haven't used either since we got the camera in June. We just use the one that came with the kit. FWIW, if I had it to do over again, I'd just get the kit and not get any other lenses b/c I have no clue what to do with them!

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Canon Powershot S2 IS. Hands down a great camera. Beautiful, clear, sharp pics. Just fabulous. I think you can't get the S2 anymore, so the S3 is great as well. I convinced my neighbor to get the S3 and she is in LOVE.

I think Walmart has it for ag reat price.

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had the same problem a few months ago. I really wanted to get a SLR but didn't want to spend so much. I ended up getting a
    Sony DSC-H7, I already had a cheaper sony so I wanted something I already knew how to use. It takes great pictures, 18x zoom, it still has a shutter delay but its very short. If you are looking for NO shutter delay you would have to go with a SLR.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

I drooled over the Rebel ever since the original Xt came out, but tried a Canon S3 IS first. It's a nice little camera, but the fact that it's still a point and shoot limits the shutter speed. I was going to bite the bullet and go for the Xti. Then Nikon came out with the D40 at the end of last year (and the D40X this year). It was a big deal for me to switch brands, but I went for the Nikon D40 and have been very happy with it.

For everyday use, the out-of-the-box 18-55mm lens works very well. I would highly recommend investing another $100 or so in the SB-400 external flash. It makes a world of difference in in-door pictures when you bounce the flash off. I also have the 55-200mm VR lens - very helpful in situations where I have to hold DS with one arm and take a picture of DH and DD playing a little bit farther away with my other hand. I also own a Canon SD450 for times where I just want to carry something in my pocket. One of the reasons I waited so long to get an SLR is because I didn't want to drag a big thing around everywhere. The D40 is actually very light. And because an SLR just take superior pictures, I really don't mind dragging it around because there are those moments that you want to capture of your DC that are just not going to come again.

Oh, and I'm a picky person when it comes to cameras. For me to say I have been very happy with a camera, well, it's pretty much the first time. If you are going the DSLR route, give the Nikon D40 a consideration: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm
    - K

DD '05, DS '07

n2ou is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have owned both, the Canon XTi and the Nikon D40.

I returned the Canon because the flash drove me nuts. I googled this extensively and was not the only one with the problem. When taking pictures with flash, the Canon will shut you off (shows busy) after 10 to 15 exposures (to prevent burning out or something.) My Canon would take minutes to come back and then I was maybe able to get 1-5 pics in before the flash went back in to buffering. By then, of course, the moment was over. It bugged me! I had spent a lot of money and I was not happy. I returned it and bought the Nikon d40 (saved $450) in the process. The Canon took excellent pics without flash.

The Nikon D40 has its motor inside the lens (versus the body) and therefore does not take all Nikon lenses. I did not plan on buying a lot of extra lenses, the Nikon D40 kit works perfectly for me.
    HTH,

Simone_AZ

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not an SLR but we have a Canon Digital Elph SD 550 I think and it takes pretty quick pics. My mom has another brand and I can't stand her camera... takes FOREVER and then the moment is GONE! I am pretty sure they have newer generations of the Elph we have probably with higher MP etc but we have been quite happy with ours. I have always drooled over the digital SLR Rebel but they are so big to carry around. We have a 35MM rebel that we loved till we got a digital.

Good Luck with your decision!

~Tondi