Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    CPSDarren Guest

Default More comments on product complaints in general

I have borrowed a Marathon for a short time to get some experience with it. So far, I have had no problems but it has only been 2 days. Certainly, the push-button harness system on my Roundabout is a bit easier. The Roundabout is one of the easiest to use models on the market and is a tough standard to match. On the other hand, I don't find this Marathon's adjuster or harness to be any more difficult than many other brands/models that use a similar A-Lok adjuster mechanism.

Some other general advice that applies to ANY product you buy, but especially child seats since incompatibility is always a possibility:

1) Try before you buy. Child restraints vary a lot in ease-of-use. Some simply don't work well with certain vehicles or children. Some parents have different preferences than others. No matter what your experience with a manufacturer's other products, what you read in a review or what you hear about compatibility with your vehicle, there is no substitute for trying such a critical safety device yourself in your vehicle with your child.

2) Get a good return policy. Make sure you fully understand the return period and fine print, wherever you buy. Supporting a local retailer can really be worth it, especially for child seats. If you can't try before you buy, a good return policy is absolutely essential.

3) The "best deal" is not always the retailer with the lowest price. If you do find you don't like a product or it doesn't work well for some reason, having good customer service and an easy return policy may more than make up for a few dollars saved when you buy it.

4) If you do have a problem, PLEASE phone or email the manufacturer and then be sure to follow that up with a polite, written letter. A written letter is the best way to voice your concerns, and gives you a record for future use, too. Manufacturers don't want to lose customers, so they DO appreciate written feedback about their products.

5) Give them a chance to respond to your concerns before you consider a third party to force some action on your behalf. Changes to any product can take some time; you may not get an immediate fix. In the case of child restraints, please also visit a certified technician before resorting to a third party. A technician may be able to give you some tips to help you use it properly, or confirm that you may have a safety defect. You can locate one near you for a free consultation with the resource links at http://www.seatcheck.net .

Darren
    www.Car-Safety.Org

cpsadvocate Guest

Default The problem with the Marathon adjuster is how it is threaded not that it's an A-lok & other issues. (more)

I am the owner of the web site: http://www.geocities.com/cpsadvocate/adjuster.html which has been overhauled 03-13-2003 to include my own research and input from others. It not only addresses the adjuster issues, but other known issues, and things that make the seat unique too. I will continue to update it as new information becomes available :-).

A few notes:

The Marathon's adjuster is NOT that it's an A-lok but how it is threaded--OVER or UNDER. Those of us having the most problems with the adjuster have the OVER in common. This was the most obvious difference I could find in looks and feel. If the seat you played with was made in or after November 2002, it is very likely it has the comfort pads, the velcro placed correctly on the straps, and an UNDER adjuster. I had NO problems with this one either. It is not quite like a Roundabout, but it was very comparable to the Cosco Summit I played with at Wal-Mart if that helps anyone who can't try another locally. I say this because the lever on the Marathon looks a lot like that Summit one. However, maybe they are not all threaded the same either.

This is a special niche seat, and there is only one alternative that might fit/work where this one does. Britax seats are not sold locally everywhere. However, Britax (not the store) should stand behind their products whether people purchase them online or locally if it is related to something like this. I do understand that some stores may have an agreement with Britax in regard to matters like this, and that's OK too and probably more convenient for the customer.

A reputable company will respond without being forced by a third-party action. So far, I have only expressed my concern on boards like this or to Britax directly (phone calls & writing). I will consider more if necessary. My goal right now is just to get the information out to people who are having problems so they can look into these issues themselves. However, it has been about a month now. I chose to go ahead and include a link on that web site to a post that explains the process of reporting stuff like this to those who need it. The harness adjuster is a safety-related concern and deserves more attention than it has gotten.

I am just a parent who has taken the child passenger safety training. I am not associated or work with any vehicle manufacturer, car seat company, organization, law firm (lol), etc. nor do I receive any compensation for CPS work. I say this because you will get some of the best real-life use feedback from people like me. I have tried this seat at my own expense and carefully chose it for our particular circumstances/situation and child. I did get one of the first ones that came out, and it is one of our MAIN seats that has been used on a daily basis. I can tell you without a doubt the UNDER is definitely a smoother one pull adjuster instead of a jerky pull and release type where it "locks" up before the straps are snug enough.

:-) Mom to 4 ages 4 To Teen and owner of a Marathon

CPSDarren Guest

Default RE: The problem with the Marathon adjuster is how it is threaded not that it's an A-lok & other issues. (more)

>The Marathon's adjuster is NOT that it's an A-lok but how it
    >is threaded--OVER or UNDER. Those of us having the most
    >problems with the adjuster have the OVER in common.

Nonetheless, my point was only that the Marathon differs from the Roundabout because it has this type of adjuster. At least for the one I am using, the Marathon is very much the same as other models and brands with the same mechanism.

>I am just a parent who has taken the child passenger safety
    >training. I am not associated or work with any vehicle
    >manufacturer, car seat company, organization, law firm
    >(lol), etc. nor do I receive any compensation for CPS work.
    >I say this because you will get some of the best real-life
    >use feedback from people like me.

I think you will find this is true of most parents on these forums. Not only do we receive no compensation, but most advocates like us spend considerable amounts of our own time and money to help children be safer in motor vehicles. Though my experience and comments on the Marathon are still limited, I do also have two real-life children in child restraints, and considerable experience beyond that.

Thank you for your efforts on this subject. I do hope you get a resolution that is satisfactory for you and others with similar complaints. My experience with Britax has been very good so far with the Husky and Roundabout I purchased for my children, much as it has been for the manufacturers of the other models I own.

Darren
    www.Car-Safety.Org

cpsadvocate Guest

Default RE: The problem with the Marathon adjuster is how it is threaded not that it's an A-lok & other issues. (more)

First of all, this post was "in general" and not directed at you.

I should have just given the information about the OVER and UNDER adjuster since your post didn't mention it because it IS more of a difference than just between models (Roundabout vs. Marathon). Also, people purchasing the newest manufactured Marathons need to know they are not ALL like this. Then I needed to put the rest of this under a new thread. Since I didn't...I'll say this in general.

Most of us are not that fortunate to actually get to try out the child restraint by installing and using it before purchasing regardless of where it came from. Some do have the opportunity to at least try the car seat out at the store and possibly for a quick test fit. Others only have the information they read here and elsewhere to go by because the seat is not sold locally where they live. I do want to know a little bit of background information from the person who recommended the seat, why they chose it, how it is used, etc. On occasion, I have not always gotten the same honesty in return.

Sometimes it just seems the responses are insensitive to the real people having to deal with the problems, and that is those of us who actually have the first-made Marathons with the issues.

The OVER is a safety concern and something that will have to be addressed for that reason. It's just a matter of when.

:-)

Booklety1 Guest

Those of us who own the problem Marathon (as mentioned earlier, I own a problem one and a newer one that is fine), may perceive your comments as dismissive of how serious this concern is. We are not talking about a compatibility issue, a parent’s preference, or confused moms who just need the help of a safety tech. In the case of the velcro defect, it is literally impossible to fully tighten the straps around the child’s legs! The combination of this and an extremely difficult to tighten harness (because of the routing problem) may spell disaster for a child. I think if you saw the two seats side-by-side, as I have, you would understand our concern and the need for immediate action.

Britax makes good products, and they have a good reputation. As you suggested, I gave them a chance to respond to my concerns. I was surprised when they acknowledged the harness issue but said they would not correct it even if I sent the seat back to them to have it routed properly. That is why I filed a NHSTA complaint. I see no problem in notifying the appropriate third party (NHTSA) of this when children’s’ lives may be at stake. NHSTA can decide if my concerns are without merit. NHSTA will not force Britax to do anything if it is not warranted.

akc Guest

Hi -

I just wanted to chime in on the fairly ridiculous statement, "Try before you buy." Besides plopping my daughter in the seat in the store (which does nothing for telling me about usability - if I did the "plop" test I wouldn't be taking into account all the other research I do on safety and recommendations, etc.), there is no really feasible way to do this. It almost angers me that this is the mantra. Has anyone who wrote that marketing phrase actually dealt with the reality of a car seat, especially one as big as the Marathon is?! To install it correctly it is a large effort, especially since you have to deal with the peculiarities of your car. It's even harder if it is still rear facing, as it is for us. You're kneeling on it, tightening the seatbelts, making sure the angle is right, etc. (for those of us who don't have LATCH cars). AND, to unpack a whole seat, figure out how to install it, try to use it for a while (which is what it takes to "try" it - NOT one day!) and then package it all back up to return it (and deal with the store) is just a huge headache. And, my last part of this rant, is that you can't very well "borrow" one b/c people that have them HAVE KIDS THAT ARE IN THEM!!!

Unless Britax or any other car seat company comes up with a revolutionary new "drive-in" program where you pull up and they lend you a car seat to try for two weeks that they install and then take out for you two weeks later all FOR FREE, I do NOT want to hear "try before you buy."

Sorry - this is not directed at anyone in particular. It is just a gap between good intentions and reality. :(

akc

akc Guest

Sigh. Now that this is out of my system :), I do have another question.

I checked my seat and (thankfully) my Nov 2002 seat seems to be the under instead of the over. And, I think the velco is in the right place, but it is always a little loose around her legs.

My BIG CONCERN is the leg clip. One side never really "clicks" in - just sort of slides in and stays when you pull, but not always. And, the top of the red button that you press to release it is somewhat depressed in and angled under the top edge. I never had this with my Graco - and I can't even imagine it with a regular seat belt clip. It just doesn't seem to be that secure.

Is anyone else's like this? I'm wondering if this is a defect and I should get the seat replaced (though I wish I could trade it from britax for a roundabout! don't have the box, etc. for BRU)

Also, I took of the rubber strap things today and it is much easier to tighten the straps around her shoulders now (and I can get the chest clip in the right place now). I just don't think those are in the right proportion until the child is bigger. What are comfort pads? Do they just slide around the strap and go by the child's face? I think I qualify for those, but I am not clear if I need/want them.

Please let me know on the leg clip. I want to take care of it, if I need to do something about it.

Thx -
    akc

CPSDarren Guest

>Those of us who own the problem Marathon (as mentioned
    >earlier, I own a problem one and a newer one that is fine),
    >may perceive your comments as dismissive of how serious this
    >concern is.

Though you did not reply to my post, I assume your comments are directed at me.

I did not dismiss anyone's concern. As I said, I have only used it for 2 days and therefore I do not have enough experience with the Marathon to dismiss anyone's comments.

Nowhere did I state that you should not report a safety issue to the NHTSA. In fact, this is exactly what you should do for a safety-related defect.

Best Regards,

Darren
    www.Car-Safety.Org

CPSDarren Guest

>Hi -
    >
    >I just wanted to chime in on the fairly ridiculous
    >statement, "Try before you buy."

Though I realize you said your comment was not directed at anyone in particular, my other general advice was, "If you can't try before you buy, a good return policy is absolutely essential."

>Unless Britax or any other car seat company comes up with a
    >revolutionary new "drive-in" program where you pull up and
    >they lend you a car seat to try for two weeks that they
    >install and then take out for you two weeks later all FOR
    >FREE, I do NOT want to hear "try before you buy."

Many stores offer a 30 day return policy, some longer on exchanges. With a good return policy, the reality is that many parents can try a product for quite some time. In the case of a child restraint, they could even schedule a visit for a free inspection during that time. Essentially, this does meet the requirements of your revolutionary drive-in program; I have installed a number of carseats with parents doing this exact program:-) Obviously, this may not apply in all areas.

Darren
    www.Car-Safety.Org

CPSDarren Guest

>First of all, this post was "in general" and not directed at
    >you.

No offense was taken. I do, however, think that very good real-life advice can also come from vehicle manufacturers, car seat companies, organizations, law firms and those receiving compensation for their work, much as it can from parents or advocates like us. I would hope everyone respects the opinions of all visitors to forums like this, as that is one of the best ways to deal with issues like those involving product complaints.

>Sometimes it just seems the responses are insensitive to the
    >real people having to deal with the problems, and that is
    >those of us who actually have the first-made Marathons with
    >the issues.

I don't disagree with your complaints, and I am certainly not insensitive to them. Unfortunately, there is nothing else I can do that you have not already done- writing letters and spreading the information you have found seems like a reasonable course of action to me.

Darren
    www.Car-Safety.Org

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast