Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Should all future co-ops be moved to Yahoo??

I agree with the low-posting concern as far as a Yahoo group goes.... I read a lot more than I post, and try not to post when it would just repeat something I could find by searching.

If there were another way to verify people, it might work. But I think the best thing might just be the vigilence seen in the carseat co-op. (Didn't seem like it took long to get the offending auction taken down.) Of course, this relies on nothing worse coming from it (and no manufacturers getting p***ed off)...

Sigh. Mean people suck.

Cheryl
    EDD#1: 3/24/04

Samraelanelevi Guest

I would be all for a yahoo group. I belong to a Gymboree group and in order to get in you need to give your ebay id and then they see your feedback. This would make it easy to monitor who would be doing such an auction, kwim? But I also think that it may be better to limit the # of people who get the co-op info too b/c of people such as the one who did the auction. Yes supposidly s/he was here but maybe s/he would be denied into a yahoo group.

Just my thoughts.

Brenda

spa Guest

On Mothering.com, there are post-count minimums for their Trade Post and Coops. When I wanted to sell something, I kept posting until I met my count minimum. I would hate to see the coops limited to a Yahoo group, but if the standards for joining were straightforward and people had a chance to meet those, then it seems fair.

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I really hope I don't open any can of worms here. But, here are some things to consider. I don't want to debate. I just wanted to offer something to think about.

I think that moving co-ops to a yahoo group is a possible solution to the behaviour recently demonstrated and should seriously be considered. Here's why.

I think this board is largely dedicated to community-building. This is a strong network of parents who belong and participate in a community where trust, support, aid, and information are shared with our other community members. While BBB is not any sort of "exclusive club," but a very public space where ANYBODY can enter and either observe or join the goings-on, the strength of the community depends on participation and the building of social capital. "Community" depends on this notion of civic-mindedness and trust. That trust has now been breached. Perhaps this problem has been resolved, but how do we know for sure?

Yes, it might be unfair to those who mostly lurk but do participate occasionally and consider yourself a part of this community too. I know that when I lurked I did feel a part of this community even though I didn't partake in it actively. But, the question to consider is whether those who have built and help maintain this community ought to benefit from the effort of particular co-ops, etc. especially participants have worked hard to organize them. A community and social capital cannot sustain itself, or even exist, with a population of lurkers.

I am not saying that I absolutely think that moving co-ops to a private yahoo group is the only alternative. But, I think it is worth considering by those who organize the co-ops. If there is communication with a store or company about a co-op that is understood as a "private" co-op then I think, Yes, the active community members perhaps ought to be able to benefit. But, if the company or store doesn't care whether everyone and their proverbial brother be able to purchase at the discount, then fine, keep the information open to all.

I was a lurker and I recall that I so badly wanted to participate in the diaper swap. All those wonderful diapers that people were selling at decent prices, wow! I finally mustered enough courage to post my first post. Good golly how I scrutinized it. I never thought I would have enough posts to join that diaper swap. But, I began to really connect myself here, contribute to the community, build trust and networks, etc. Now? I have more than enough posts.

Anyway, this is getting long and I don't want this to become a treastise on Civic Culture. But, if you lurk and want to benefit even more in the commmunity, let us all benefit from all the things that you can offer too.
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

cvharris Guest

This a good question and monitoring who takes part in coops will not only prevent abuse like we saw with the eBay case, but it would also protect the retailers who we are working with, which I think is the more important concern.

I am very surprised that this (Britax car seats) has been such a public co-op. It's great that Great Beginnings has agreed to do this and wonderful that Gina has done all this work in setting it up, but I'd be surprised if GB received approval from Britax to offer this promotion before they started it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard that Britax doesn't allow this type of thing. I'm sure there are some other retailers complaining to Britax about the undercutting in price in this case. I hope Great Beginnings doesn't suffer because of this and lose its ability to sell Britax products. They did allow this to be posted on a public forum, so I hope they now what they are getting into.

Maybe the BBB Swap yahoo group could be used as a place for a few coops if the retailer/manufacturer wants them to be kept quiet, or to have a limited membership, like the Ella Bags promotion. The Swap has a similar membership requirement as the Mothering Trading Post does. I know this might prevent some well-meaning lurkers or new members from taking part, though, which would be unfortunate.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

Ditto on the low-posting concern from one who READS (and researches) MUCH MORE THAN POSTS since last April!! I came across the co-op when I was researching the Britax convertibles on Friday night....how very opportune for me...I ordered a Britax Wizard just an hour ago off the co-op website after checking them out at BRU this w-end. Now I'm finding out about some ebay scam and am hoping that I'll still be able to get my deal from Great Beginnings. I would possibly consider the yahoo group...but just how many posts would be required for qualification?

hypermom Guest

"...but I'd be surprised if GB received approval from Britax to offer this promotion before they started it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard that Britax doesn't allow this type of thing. I'm sure there are some other retailers complaining to Britax about the undercutting in price in this case. I hope Great Beginnings doesn't suffer because of this and lose its ability to sell Britax products. They did allow this to be posted on a public forum, so I hope they now what they are getting into..."

I was just on Britax's site and here's what it says before each MSRP:

"MSRP means Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. By law, retailers are free to set their own retail selling prices. "

I hope Great Beginnings doesn't get any flak for this, it's such a wonderful store.

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Price fixing is ILLEGAL. Britax can not force a retailer to sell their items at a specific price because it's against the law.

http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/guid...pfbrprimer.pdf

Excerpt:

"Price fixing is an agreement among competitors to raise, fix, or otherwise maintain the price at which their goods are sold. It is not necessary that the competitors agree to charge exactly the same price, or that every competitor in a given industry join the conspiracy. Price fixing can take many forms, and any agreement that restricts price competition violates the law."

"A corporation or individual convicted of a Sherman Act violation may be ordered to make restitution to the victims for all overcharges. Victims of bid-rigging and price-fixing conspiracies also may seek civil recovery of up to three times the amount of damages suffered."

~Kimberly Anne~
    Noah Nevan due on 03/21/04

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default And just on a side note ....

My darned post count would be much higher if I didn't constantly lose my posts before they actually made it to the board. x( Arggghhh!

~Kimberly Anne~
    Noah Nevan due on 03/21/04

Default RE: And just on a side note ....

My two cents... I'm a lurker and have been for MONTHS.

Why am I a lurker? It's a simple reason. I am newly pregnant and have no good advice for anyone. When I do have the chance to try out these products... I'll be so vocal you will all be sick of me!

WHile I didn't buy the carseat - because it was TOO early to buy one in my opinion? I am thrilled to be part of a community that would do this.

Please don't go to Yahoo Boards!

Other wise I will end up having to post dumb crap that no one wants to read in the hopes that I get my counts up!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast