Default Slightly OT: When can a child sit in the front seat?

I was discussing car safety with my aunt and she was wondering when it was safe for my 12 year old cousin to sit in the front seat? I'm not sure what the weight/height requirements are. She's very tall but slim. I thought I read somewhere way back that you had to sit in the back until you were 90 lbs? My 15 1/2 year old cousin weighs less than that and is expected to get her learner's permit soon.

Thanks for you help.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Default RE: Slightly OT: When can a child sit in the front seat?

Pretty much the recommendation is "children under 12 in the back" (and the back is 33% safer for ALL passengers, too), there's no height or weight recommendation.
    The main issue of safety for children in the front seat is that they get out of position and too close to the airbag...they have short arms and have to lean forward too far to reach the radio knobs, lol. This is a problem for adults, too (ever seen someone with their feet on the dashboard/airbag while flying down the freeway? That's a pretty major no-no, for sure).
    Children who fit the seatbelt properly (generally over 80 pounds and 4'9"...depending on the car) and who can refrain from constantly leaning forward, are as safe as any adult in the front seat. It's the kids who are not wearing seatbelts, or who had the shoulderbelt behind their backs, who are the ones injured and killed by airbags :(.

Hope that helps a little...it's not really a black and white answer...

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

>This is a problem for adults, too (ever seen someone with their feet on the dashboard/airbag while flying down the freeway? That's a pretty major no-no, for sure).

Totally off-topic, but reminded me of a road trip in college. I was driving (my car) and my friend asked me if she could put her feet up on the dash board. I told her, "sure, no problem. As long as you don't mind having your feet behind your ears if the airbags go off." Needless to say, she didn't do it. It just hadn't occurred to her. My statement sounds mean, but I just said it very matter-of-fact.

As an EMT, I did once see someone who ended up with glass in their foot when they got into a minor accident with some broken glass (had the bare feet up on the dash).
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

tinkerbell1217 Guest

In my minivan it says children 12 and under should not sit in the front seat because of the airbags. My DS is 13, is a skinny kid at 88 pounds, and I still have him in the back mostly because he is short for his age and the seatbelt doesn't fit him just right in the front, but at 13 I let DD start sitting in the front. She was about 5'1" and 100 pounds. Of course, I don't know if the requirements are just for cars with double airbags(driver and passenger side).

Kelly

Default Esther

Doh! I put my feet up all of the time when we are road tripping and DH is driving. I will think twice about that next time.

I'm emailing you a picture that will amuse you so check your email!
    Mom to R and R

jubilee Guest

It might be a state law issue, because I've been told that here in Oregon a kid had to be 12 to be in the front seat. My oldest was so excited on his birthday, because he had never ridden in the front before! LOL