wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Q about Honda Pilot latch position

My friend took us out today in her new Pilot and she had her son forward facing in the middle using latch. I told her I didn't think you could do that, only outboard and we looked in the instruction manual and it didn't say. I've read here how most cars just have latch for outboard positions and you have to use a seatbelt to put in the middle. Anyone know for sure? I said I'd post here to ask.
    TIA

SaraPosh2001 Guest

Default RE: Q about Honda Pilot latch position

I will be curious to hear an answer to this as well, just in case I am missing something. I have a 2003 Acura MDX (very similar to the Pilot) and it also only has Latch in the outboard positions.

I thought that, in order to use the anchors for the middle position, the manual had to specifically mention that doing so was okay. Mine, for the MDX, does not. When I helped a friend install her Snug Ride recently in her ford DID say that doing this was okay.

Does anyone have the official word from Honda? The center install in my car is a tough one, given the way the seatbelt operates. The whole contraption retracts into the ceiling if not in use and I find that it seems to loosen a bit over time in a really annoying way, causing me to have to check and tighten my daughter's RA more often than I should.

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had a similar thread a few months back: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search

I have a Pilot (which is very similar to the Acura MDX) and you'll realize after reading the above thread that using the latch isn't ok. We wanted to keep the carseat in the middle, so we ended up using the seatbelt and also tethering it to make it very secure.
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

cpstechmom Guest

Can you or she check to see if there actually are lower anchors in the seat? It should be in the manual (possibly a picture) or you can look back into the bight of the seat (where the bottom and the back of the seat meet) and there should either be LATCH anchors showing or a little "button" on the seat. That will help you figure that out. I am currently waiting for answer from some people that should know the answer.

I hope all that makes sense...

Janice M. Mom to Cias-born 4/13/02 and forever rear-facing in his Britax Marathon.

cpstechmom Guest

Okay, I just got a reply back.. here it is. "Honda is explicit that the center position is not to be used with LATCH, as noted in the LATCH-Tether manual (2003 edition) from Safe
    Ride News. If this is a 2004 model, you can look in the owner's
    manual, but I doubt there's been any policy change and wouldn't do it
    unless the owner's manual (as well as the child restraint
    instructions) specifically states that it is okay.
    Deborah Stewart
    SAFE RIDE NEWS"

so, no she cannot use LATCH in the center. She will need to use the seatbelt. If she has any questions, it would be advisable for her to call Honda.

Hope that helps.
    Janice M. Mom to Cias-born 4/13/02 and forever rear-facing in his Britax Marathon.

Ford is a special case...they are doing more testing and getting more liberal about their inner LATCH anchor use policy (I learned this from Paul Butler, the head Ford engineer, at the Lifesavers Conference a couple weeks ago). Honda, on the other hand, is extremely conservative in what they technically allow. They may change in the future and allow the inboard LATCH anchors to be used, but for now, I would not use them...just use the seatbelt, since a good seatbelt install is every bit as safe as a good LATCH install :)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx