Default Osh Kosh Triumph from a few years ago?

A coworker of my mom bought 2 Osh Kosh Triumphs a few years ago....one for her dh's car and one for her mom's car. I beleive her ds just turned 3. She just switched her ds into boosters over the weekend and offered to let us borrow her seats (for the same use...one for my dh's car and one for my mom's car.....the main car has a Britax Wizard). It sounded like a great deal and the seats are very cute. I am concerned though because it looks like on the evenflo website it lists that seat as having a recall and for us to call immediately for a safety kit. What do you think of the seat? How bad was the recall? Should I call for the safety kit or just invest in a brand new seat. If I bought a brand new seat I just don't know how I would tell my mom or her coworker . Afterall her ds was riding in it up until last Sat. My mom thinks we should just call for the safety kit. What are your thoughts on this. If you have the seat, do you liek it and was the safety kit helpful?

here is a pic of the seat off of the evenflo website:

Default RE: Osh Kosh Triumph from a few years ago?

I wonder how could they have not fixed it? I think that was a fairly important recall, and no way would I let my child ride in it without fixing it :(. It can be tough to fix. I have a tech friend who got one of these seats from HER friend, and the recall was fixed at the retail store before they bought it, but the store employee installed the recall wrong...it was pretty shocking...
    The recall kit is free, so if you want to try it out (YOU care about doing it right much more than the kid in the back room of a retail store!) and see if the seat works in your car and fits your kid (and you can stand the harness system) then go for it. If not, you can save face by saying the seat doesn't work in your car, or the crotch buckle rides too high, or you find the harness too cumbersome (blame "new mommy brain" for that)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

starrynight Guest

Default RE: Osh Kosh Triumph from a few years ago?

If she has been using the seats for this long are you sure she didn't already call for the safety kit? I would call and ask for them yourself just to have them, you can always take the seats to save face and say they didn't work in your car.