Rain Guest

Default Snugride vs Britax Companion or infant seat for larger baby

I am having problems with my Snugride..I've posted about it being too tight. I tried everything and even got new straps, and it's still tight. His head also tips forward like another poster mentioned. I'm going to follow the advice given to her for now..but at this point I'm ready to give up with it and get a Britax Companion or another infant seat that might be larger. My 7 week old ds screams everytime he's in the seat...I have to do something because riding in the car with him is awful..I feel so bad...he really looks uncomfortable and squished in the seat. How does the Britax Companion compare? It takes a larger baby, but is it really larger than the Snugride? I wonder if it pays at this point to get another infant carrier because he will be 2 months old in a couple of days already. I do like to have the carrier because it makes it a lot easier for grocery shopping etc. I bought the Peg Perego Pliko and it came with a strap to fit any carrier on to it so I guess the Companion would be ok on there. I just really don't know what to do at this point. I didn't really want to spend so much money on an infant carrier because it's used for such a short time, but the baby is so miserable in this seat and I really do need a carrier.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Rain :)

Default RE: Snugride vs Britax Companion or infant seat for larger baby

So you got the new straps, threaded them in the "big baby loops" and put it in the right slots (at or below his shoulders) and it still doesn't fit??? (not disbeliving YOU, just kind of amazed at how wild that is!)
    I personally wouldn't spend the money on another infant seat. It's going to be such a short time before he's sitting up (and you can plunk him in sitting up-seats), and he really sounds like he'd be more comfortable in a big ol' convertible now. The Companion is bigger, but it's really quite confining, and it's heavier to carry.

I dunno, just my humble opinion, I'm sure there are lots of ways to go about this, depending on your budget....

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Rain Guest

I did put the new straps in and it's the same thing. They came in a different color because the straps in the color of my seat are backordered so I put the original straps back. No one can figure out why he doesn't fit. I have shown so many people and they are all puzzled. With the big baby loops it just fits him now..there is no way it will fit in a week or two. He weighed 10lbs 8oz one week ago today, so it's not like he's a huge or even very large baby so this is so strange. He's long...maybe that's why? I'm at a loss. He doesn't look comfortable in the seat..he looks all squishy. My 4yo was in his infant seat for 7 months..but that one is really worn out because he had reflux and slept in that seat too, so I wouldn't use it again. I have a Britax Roundabout...I love that seat..in fact my 4yo is still in it. He's approaching 40 lbs now so I'm going to move him to a booster. I could put the baby in that seat, but I really prefer the carrier for errands etc. But if the Britax is heavier that would be a problem because I find the Snugride heavy! They didn't have the Companion when I went to the baby store so I haven't gotten to see it in person. I'll give them a call and hopefully they'll have one I can see. I really hate to spend the money at this point though.

Rain :)

pittsburghgirl Guest

Can you use a sling or carrier for errands? I wouldn't want to spend the $$ on another infant seat at this point if I were you. My DS was very tall and we were out of the snugride at 4 months due to height anyway.

At first, I kept the Snugride in the trunk and plopped him in it when I really needed him to be in a carrier for a shopping cart. Then, that got to be annoying so I wore him in the Baby Bjorn or hip hammock for grocery shopping until he was old enough to sit in the cart (with a Floppy Seat cover on it.)

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you find the Snugride heavy, you will find the Companion much heavier. I have the Companion, but bought a Snugride when DS was about 2 months old because the Companion was so darn heavy and bulky. I'm still using the Snugride although he'll probably grow out of it soon.

Maybe move him to the RA and keep the Snugride in the trunk for when you need a carrier?

Good luck!

H-
    Heather
    dd 3/98
    ds 8/04