lmarcam Guest

Default ? for Techs re Latch Anchors

I currently have a Snugride in the center seat of my 2001 Saab attached with a "child-seat" ready seat belt. The car has latch on the back side seats, but not the center. My problem is that using the seat belt to anchor the car seat makes me nervous, every couple of weeks I need to retighten it (I had the seat inspected/installed by a professional before baby was born). Is this normal? If we plan to have the car for a couple more years, should I have latch installed in the center seat? How much does that generally cost?

Lisa

Default RE: ? for Techs re Latch Anchors

Unfortunately, you can't have LATCH retrofitted in Saabs...wouldn't that be nice?
    Anyway, what is probably the problem is that the latchplate is tilting a little over the edge of the base. What you can try is putting the recline foot back up into the seat, and using a rolled towel or pool noodle to get the proper recline (works better than the foot, a lot of the time) OR you can try twising down the female end of the seatbelt so that the latchplate isn't tipping on the snugride base and will stay tight.
    When you move up to your convertible seat, this probably won't be a problem...it's usually just an issue with the infant base.
    I just love those switchable latchplates (with the little button on the male end that slides from adult to child seat settings)...It was what I had on my Saab when I had my first baby, and it was so easy to install my convertible seat, I didn't know anyone ever had trouble installing car seats properly!

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just an FYI,

I also have a Saab- unfortunately a 99 9-5 model without latch, I have a fold down arm rest in middle, if you have that, you can't use the middle position unless you get SAAB to send a special restraint that prevents the armrest from coming forward (the manual in mine is very explicit about this), so even using the seatbelt in the middle may not be an option. I've called them many times and they always promise to send me one... still waiting.... also the dummies at the dealership installed a tether anchor behind the back seat but put it in the middle-where I can't use it! They want to charge me over a hundred dollars to install another anchor on the passenger side- it may be cheaper for me to buy another car......but I digress.

Elizasmom Guest

I can see where the armrest could be a concern when the baby is RF, but why would it matter once the baby is FF? How could the armrest possibly fold down with the car seat in the way? The middle position so much safer. We were hit on the passenger side and our SUV was totaled. There is no way my daughter would be here if not for being in the middle. Maybe one of the techs could give you their "official" opinion on whether you can ignore your SAAB manual now that the baby is FF.

You're right, the armrest poses no hazard to a FF seat, and I'd make the parental decision to ignore the manual, if it were me :)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx