hellosmiletoday Guest

Default Safest location for Britax carseat in Camry with LATCH in outboard but not center.

We have Britax Marathan and 2004 Camry with curtain airbags and LATCH in two outboard positions but not the center position. Currently the carseat is in the outboard position with LATCH. Should I move it to center position with seatbelt???

Second, in regards to air travel -- should/can we bring the Britax or is it too big/bulky. We are not purchasing an extra airplane seat. Has anyone had a Britax carseat damaged with gate checkin -- and does it even fit in the airplace seat if we were to get lucky and get a free empty seat? Or should we just purchase an extra carseat (such as touriva) for airtravel to the grandparents house (grandparents own an accord and park avenue, none have LATCH). DD is 16 lb 26 inches at 9 months if that makes a difference -- she is a shrimp! Suggestions for 2nd carseat?

Mommy to baby girl 5/04

Default RE: Safest location for Britax carseat in Camry with LATCH in outboard but not center.

The Marathon DOES fit on a plane, and you could risk checking it...but the Touriva's on sale for $39 now, and it's light as a feather and easy to install without LATCH (Tell whoever's meeting you at the airport to bring a big old towel to put in the seatbight, as that seat will be quite upright RF without one...not a real problem for a baby as old as yours, but a little more reclined would still be more comfortable....).

Practice installing it before you go anywhere (and post back for help if you need it), so you aren't wigging out in the airport parking lot (or airplane...fingers crossed you get a seat!) learning for the first time.

It's up to you if you want to try to install your seat in the middle with the seatbelt. If you're happy with how it is now, I might not mess with it. A while down the line, when you put it forward, it's much easier to install in the center with the seatbelt, and you can put it there, then. Or give it a shot in the center, if you just want to try RF with the seatbelt there.

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

hellosmiletoday Guest

Default RE: Safest location for Britax in Camry with LATCH in outboard but not center.

Do the curtain airbags interfere with safety of carseat in LATCH outboard position? That is my main concern about leaving carseat in outboard.

The carseat seems snug in outboard w/ LATCH v. middle w/o LATCH... but we have never tried to put the Britax in the middle in our own car. We did travel alot with the sungride and it never seemed secure in any non LATCH car.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

Default RE: Safest location for Britax in Camry with LATCH in outboard but not center.

The Curtain airbags are really just fine in your car, they probably offer much more protection than danger :)
    It can take heaps of practice to learn to install a seat with a seatbelt...but if you do learn, it's just as safe :)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

pittsburghgirl Guest

Default RE: Safest location for Britax carseat in Camry with LATCH in outboard but not center.

We traveled with our MA exactly once before buying the Touriva! THe MA was just too heavy to lug around the airport and onto the plane. I travel about half the time w/o DH (I'm a SAHM so I often stay at my parents' home longer than DH) and there is no way I could get myself and DS onto the plane carrying the MA. The Touriva is awesome, light as a feather and easy enough to install.

If we had to gate check it I would not feel nearly as bad if it got scratched or something than I would my beautiful MA!

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

I have travelled many times with the MA. It wasn't extremely difficult but it certainly wasn't a walk in the park either. You can buy a bag to protect the cover of your MA in case you have to gate check it. The Eddie Bauer fits perfectly and there is room to stash extra stuff. It can be a bit of a trick getting the MA into the bag at just the right angle. here is the link http://tinyurl.com/5h4oy

We did just buy a Touriva lately and I am very happy with it. I have installed it in my MIL's and BIL's car very easy with the seat belt. I plan to fly with it in June and am confident it will be much easier than lugging the MA.

So in short, if you travel a lot or need a second seat for DH or grandmas car then go ahead and buy it. Otherwise you might want to save the money and just take the MA.