newmama4 Guest

Default Another snugride question...

Julie, thanks for your answer before about keeping the handle forward or moving it back. Now I have another question. (Oh and for some reason (sleep depravation?)I put down DD's birthday in Feb., its in November!)

Anyway, I have had the local police car seat techs. install my base 2 times now, and each time a few days later it loosens up. I know it is not supposed to move more than an inch, and the belts are very very tight, but the base moves from side to side - sort of on a diagonal - at least an inch, or 2. I drive a Mazda MPV (no latch).

Help!
    Thanks,
    Elise
    Hannah Meira's Eema (11/1604)

Default RE: Another snugride question...

Are they using a shoulderbelt that you pull all the way out and it tightens up? That's kind of what it sounds like. The trick is to use the locking clip and NOT pull the shoulderbelt back out, that way the shoulderbelt isn't putting huge tension on the base and making it tip sideways.
    If you don't want the challenge of the locking clip on your own, then make an appt *again* (what a pain, huh? :P) and go ahead and re-install it yourself, to get rid of the tipping, and tell THEM to help you learn to use a locking clip properly.

If they are using a lap-only belt to install the seat, then the problem is that the "latchplate"...the part near the male/metal side of the buckle, is tipping as it passes into the beltpath of the base, and that makes it loosen, rather than hold tight.

But if it's the shoulderbelt, just tell them you think they should always use locking clips on snugride bases, no matter how well they install without them ;) (I always keep one in my back pocket, "just in case"...parents are busy, I'm busy...they shouldn't have to keep coming back for such a preventable problem...)

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx