Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Car seat for Grandma's car

DD is 7 months and 16 lbs. We are thinking of putting a seat in MIl's car. What are the best for this situation.
    I am thinking Evenflo Triump or Graco comfort Sport, though I have read the comfort Sport didn't do the best in crash tests. Want the safetest but don't want to ask inlaws to spend too much.
    Eden 9/04

Splash Guest

Default RE: Car seat for Grandma's car

Evenflo Vanguard is a great one (Titan is the same thing). At the top of the pack CR wise, and not expensive.
    Although, forgive me for saying this if it offends you, but it is YOUR repsponsibility to provide a car seat, not theirs. I would never dream of expecting anyone to buy their own car seat to transport my kids...it seems awfully rude. Not trying to be mean, but that's how it comes across to me.
    E

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the input. I was reading the new baby bargains and noticed the Triump and comfort sport are no longer as highly rated. So I was not sure what to do. In the beginning I did not want them to get a seat at all. I figured we could just move the seat or trade cars if need be. Now we food shop together and it would be nice to take their bigger car sometimes. I would never ask them to get one, they asked us to tell them what we would feel good about having her in. They want to get one for their car. They are extremely generous and actually paid half of the Britax we just bought just because.
    I think it is actually a fun idea for them to have a seat in their car and pick it out. I agree with you in general though. THis is between Dh and his rents.

Eden 9/04

pittsburghgirl Guest

My IL's wanted to buy a car seat for their car, too. We could have just moved the seat from DH's car on the rare occasions they would be driving DS around but they wanted their "own" seat. They were perfectly happy to let me pick (particularly when the one I picked was reasonably priced... if I wanted to put a Britax in their car, I would have had to buy it myself.) So far DS has ridden in their car twice since they got the seat maybe 6 months ago, so getting a Britax would not have been a good value. He will ride in their car to go from our house to theirs (maybe 5 miles) and from their house to the park, and that kind of thing.

We have a Cosco Touriva in DH's car and the IL's got another one for theirs. It is lightweight, easy to install and other than the weird buckle, pretty easy to use once you figure out the buckle (not nearly as nice or easy as the Britax of course.)

This seat is also sold as the Regal Ride at Target. We bought it based on recommendations from Julie (joolsplus2) who you will see all over the board. :) We use it for travel, too, the Britax was a beast to carry onto a plane.

The big thing for me about the car seat is making sure everyone using it knows how to use it properly. I don't feel that my son is demonstrably less safe when buckled properly (chest clip in the right place, snug fit, no extra poofy clothing) into his properly installed Touriva than when he is with me in his Marathon. He is probably more comfortable in his Marathon and because he is in that seat 99% of the time, I wanted the "cadillac".

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

connor's mom

It depends on how often your child is going to be in the grandparent's car. We had the Graco Comfort Sport in my mom's minivan. The seat was terrible. The straps kept getting stuck. We finally ended up getting a Britax Marathon for her minivan and put the Graco in Grandpa's suv. Grandma picks up DS everyday and Grandpa only uses it once a week.