BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default So we got these 2 Britax Boulevards...

...and they're still sitting on our sofa in the basement. x(

We currently have a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio infant seat with 2 bases installed in our '01 Subaru Outback Wagon and '03 GMC Yukon XL.

Honestly - it bothers me that we are still using the Primo Viaggio - our son is now almost 23" long, 14 pounds and just over 10 weeks old while these 2 Boulevards sit unused in the basement. I can't imagine how we'd feel if there were an accident while our son was in the Primo Viaggio and he were hurt. We've gone around about it a few times and the wife keeps telling me the Primo Viaggio is a good safe seat for an infant - plus our pediatrition has also said she'd use the infant seat for as long as she could.

The wife really really likes the convenience of the infant seat and being able to just situate him in it in the house and plop him in the base in either car - and I won't lie I do too.

I guess my question mainly is whether the the Primo Viaggio is THAT much less safe than the Britax Boulevard - or if it's worth the extra inconvenience of having to situate him in a Boulevard each time we go somewhere because the Boulevard is THAT much safer than the Primo Viaggio?

It is really nice being able to just carry him around in the Primo Viaggio seat when we go to the store or try to grab dinner out and I know before much longer that time will be coming to an end - but I also feel like we should be taking advantage of the extra protection the Boulevard seems to offer.

Thoughts?

~Bill

Default RE: So we got these 2 Britax Boulevards...

Is the PV installed in the center seating positions? If so, you have zero to worry about. If it's installed in the outboard positon, you have .0000001 to worry about ;). ALL properly used rearfacing harnessed seats are SO safe, that the difference between the two is marginal at best. Just make sure the base is intalled tightly, and the harness is tight on his shoulders, slots at or below his shoulders, and the chest clip is on his chest (the manual might call it a harness retainer clip, which most folks seems to think means "belly button clip", lol).

Of course, you may have noticed a lot of posts with installation problems with RF britax seats, so it's never too early to get some practice installing your BVs.

Enjoy your last few weeks with the convenience of the PV, it'll be over before you know it ;)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The PV is in the center in my GMC Yukon but it's on the passenger side rear seat in the Subaru. The PA State police car seat guy wasn't happy with the center fit using the lapbelt in the Subaru vs. using the LATCH on the outboard seat. Think I should move it to the center in the Subaru?

And thanks for the reply Julie! :)
    ~Bill

No prob :)

Well...did the tech you saw try getting a good installation with the locking clip in the center? A locking clip and a rolled towel or pool noodle are needed more often than not with that base. If he only used the seat's recline mechanism and didn't try using a locking clip (you say it's a lapbelt, but it's a lap/shoulderbelt, right?), then you might be able to install it in the center just fine(Oh, I say "just fine" like it'll be a walk in the park...but it'll probably take heaps of effort and two people, honestly...I'm such a meanie! :D) If you know how to reinstall it on the side after you attempt to install it in the center, then give it a shot and I'll give you some good tips ;)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx