Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Went van shopping - confused - help!!!

It seems i can never make a decision regarding kid things without posting here 10 times! ha ha! ;-) Here I sit with insomnia at 6 a.m., i'm sick and my kids are at the grandparents overnight , and i have so much on my mind I can't sleep, between getting a new car, need some new furniture, christmas, and new baby coming! argh!!!

Anyway... I had posted earlier about an 8 seater Sienna. I got a lot of great responses. We finally went out yesterday looking at the Sienna and Oddysey. And of course I can't decide what to do...

Sienna
    : besides a terrible experience w/ a new saleswomen who knew nothing and wasted a lot of our time (which is precious when you don't have the kids!).... (at one point I wanted to try my 2 marathons and infant seat in the 2nd row to be sure all would fit. we took the MAs out, she pulled up a van that didn't have all 3 seats in a row and told us there were none on the lot, so that was a waste, i'm pretty sure would fit but would definitely take the seats back again and try if the 8 seater is what i want)

Positives: 1. I would go with the 8 seater sienna if this is what i want to do. One part of me really wants the 3 in the row, i think more for safety, plus having more trunk space if i need it, but then not sure if would be causing more problems than worth having all 3 next 2 each other. if the baby was in the middle i could push the seat forward so they wouldn't be right there w/ him or her. 2. cheaper than the Oddy i looked at.

Negs: 1. only 1 power sliding door and not sure if middle windows go down.. does that matter? is 2 sliding doors better? 2. not as many nice interior features as Oddy.

Odyssey: I have driven Hondas for almost 20 years, so of course i loved the Oddy. If i would go w/ a 7 seater this would be my choice. the EX falls into our budget, and had a lot of cool things: 2 power sliding doors, extra seat for second row (not for a car seat though), both middle windows go down like regular windows, build in sunshades, lots of storage compartments, radio controls on steering wheel (i would LOVE that!).

Only neg that all 3 couldn't fit in 2nd row.

I thought comfort wise and driving wise they were comparable. Honda's engine was a little louder but in general felt more solid.

I think part of my problem is worrying about my 4 year old (who would stay in her MA) being in the 3rd row, it's not that close to the back but still scares me. I think Jools had said before it is ok, and i know the MA is a great solid seat.

Well, I think I've covered everything, so any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Default RE: Went van shopping - confused - help!!!

I just got my Sienna a few months ago and I love it! I have three children .My oldest (4) is in a booster seat in the 3rd row. She has never made a move to get out. I think she like too that if the babies start yelling she's not in the middle of them! My babies are in the middle , captain seats. I love that we have the "aisle" for people to get through to the back seat so I don't have to take out any car seats. I had them all in the same row before I bought this car and was actually told by the person who installed the car seats that it was more dangerous that way....Not sure why, maybe that is something to ask about.

I have two automatic side doors and the trunk is automatic also. I really don't have anything bad to say about the car so far. I also drove the Honda and I thought the Sienna was a better ride.

Hope this helps some. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Ann

CPSDarren ended up with another Ody.. http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html I think one of his deciding factors was that he spent some time with all three of his kids in his Subaru, and decided that 'three in a row' is not all it's cracked up to be...he's happier with one in the back ;) (Plus, he says it's manlier... I wonder if *your* dh has an opinion about that????)
    Maybe the 8 seater Honda would fit a narrow seat in that middle seat?
    I promise, the third row isn't dangerous in either of these :).

Ugh, it IS a tough choice, I think I'd have insomnia, too!
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

CPSDarren Guest

Yeah, I decided to go with the manly, midlife crisis minivan rather than the more practical soccer dad minivan...

I have more comparative information than you ever wanted to know here:
    http://www.epinions.com/content_208641101444

The 8th seat in the Odyssey EX and EX-L is really a mixed bag. Most harnessed child restraints might be too large. I haven't really tried to install any there yet, but that was never my intention. On the plus side, it stores nicely inside the van and is adequate for teens and kids old enough to be out of a booster.

I had a really tough choice, too. I ordered the Sienna originally, but ended up with an Odyssey after some delays with my Sienna order. Good luck!

Darren
    www.seatcheck.net

Thanks for all the info. I will check the site you posted too.

I don't even know if it would be possible to install in the Odyssey 2nd row middle seat. The belt comes from the roof. ???

How do all of you do when going on trips? Not that we go away alot, but i'm thinking if the 3rd row is up we wouldn't have a ton extra storage for luggage, etc. We already pack up the CRV trunk when we go!

CPSDarren Guest

Most of the newer vans have a split folding 3rd row seat. For example, my daughter rides in the 3rd row in the "40" side of the 60/40 split seat. So, if we need to store cargo, we can easily fold down the larger section without removing her carseat.

It is acceptable to install a carseat in the Odyssey 2nd row middle seat. The problem is finding a seat that is narrow enough and can be installed adequately. The seatbelt from the roof is not a problem of itself, unless it results in a poor fit. The link Julie posted has some more information about child restraints in the Odyssey.

Darren
    www.seatcheck.net

Thanks Darren... I just finished reading your reivew on epinions! great!

I wonder if a turbo booster would work in the oddy middle row 2 seat, once DD gets bigger...

decisions decisions! ;-)

erzzie Guest

Darren, if you wouldn't mind posting links to the extra driver side mirror and conversation mirrors you purchased for the Odyssey, I'd totally appreciate it! I really noticed the difference in the drivers side rear visibility between the two vans, but we ended up going with the Odyssey anyway. I'd love something to improve those!

Thanks!

The Turbo is really pretty wide...maybe the Parkway (no bulky armrests...) or Starriser Comfy (VERY narrow) would work...hmm...I wish I knew, lol.

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

CPSDarren Guest

>Darren, if you wouldn't mind posting links to the extra
    >driver side mirror and conversation mirrors you purchased for
    >the Odyssey, I'd totally appreciate it! I really noticed the
    >difference in the drivers side rear visibility between the two
    >vans, but we ended up going with the Odyssey anyway. I'd love
    >something to improve those!
    >
    >Thanks!

The only essential one was a very simple $1.49 rectangular "wedge" mirror I found at a Pep Boys store. I've seen them at Autozone, too. It's a 1" x 1.5" wide angle mirror that sticks on the corner of your outside mirror and eliminates that blind spot. We have a similar round one on my wife's car, but I don't like the distortion from the round one.

The rear-view mirror model is a stick on mirror that mounts above your existing inside rear-view mirror. It's a panoramic mirror that serves as a conversation mirror but also lets you see out all the inside windows so it can also serve as a blind spot mirror. I don't find myself using this one as much. It's nice and it works, plus the optics are better than the standard conversation mirror. Still, it may not be worth the cost. You may find it cheaper elsewhere-

http://www.12voltshop.com/proddetail...t=21&path=1,21

Darren
    www.seatcheck.net

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast