Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    CPSDarren Guest

Default RE: Went van shopping - confused - help!!!

I tried a Starriser base on a test drive. It was a hair wider than the PlusOne seat but worked fine. That was all I really needed to know so I haven't checked any others.

I store our PlusOne in place of the Lazy Susan storage compartment so it's there if we need to haul an extra kid. I normally leave the aisle in the middle so my daughter can easily get back to her seat and my son and infant have their own space in the second row. For a long trip, I might put the Lazy Suzan back in place and leave the PlusOne at home.

Darren
    www.seatcheck.net

Splash Guest

When we had the girls, we had an '03 Odyssey.
    I hated it. Hated it. I cursed that van and parked it every night wishing someone would steal it. It was the most poorly designed piece of crap I had ever owned.
    Of course, that's my opinion :)
    I went with it because it WAS a safe van, and I got a good deal on it (which turned out not to be because I hated the thing so much. It would have been worth the extra 6 grand to get a Sienna).
    I hate the power doors on the odyssey. They do NOT stop like they should if little arms or legs are in the way. Several times I would push AGAINST the door with all my strength and it would still keep closing. I've gotten my arm closed in it before and had a horrible bruise... it would have broken a kid's arm.
    I had nothing but contempt for the thing and gladly sold it when we were down to one child. Even though it was far more sensible, I just plum hated it.
    But I know there have been big improvements and I actually liked the '05 when I test drove it for giggles several months ago. Not enough to buy it, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the old one.
    Just with my experience with the thing, I would say go for the Sienna. I so wish I would have. Unless they have majorly changed almost everything in the last few years, I would run from the odyssey.

CPSDarren Guest

I had a 2001 Odyssey before the 2006 we recently purchased. I was extremely happy with the 2001. I'd have kept it longer except I really wanted side curtain airbags, stability control, an 8th seat and a split folding rear seat...

We didn't have power sliders in our 2001, mostly because of all the complaints I had seen about them. I was skeptical about them on our 2006. So far, I've been pleasantly surprised. They work well, stop on a finger (literally) and are great for the kids. I'm glad we have them on both sides- something I didn't think would be a big deal when I was buying.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with a Sienna or Odyssey if you do your research and take a test drive to see what is most important to you. In fact, the Ford, Nissan and Chrysler vans are all competitive in their own way, too.

erzzie Guest

Thanks!!!

Default RE:Jools or Darren: installation question

Thanks again to everyone! I think we need to go out and look one more time. I've been thinking.. and thinking maybe should go w/ the 8 seater Sienna. This way if I want 3 in a row I can, and if on a big trip can put them all in 3rd row, but if not, I'm left with a good safe 7 seater. I may be able to get one w/ a DVD installed for about same price as Oddy EX... still want to look though, i am a huge honda fan.

My installation question: Do any of you know how an infant seat or convertible (FF) would fit in the middle seat of the 8 seater? I know there is no latch, but what about tethering?? I will have to check this out at the dealer this weeekend, but just curious for now.

Thanks!

my3fallkiddos Guest

There is LATCH in the middle seat, middle row as well as a tether anchor. I've installed a Baby Trend LL22, a Graco Snugride and a Graco Turbo no back booster- all fit perfectly!

Chech out www.siennaclub.org for great Sienna info. I love our '05 LE-8 Sienna!

CPSDarren Guest

The middle second row seat in the 8-pass Sienna is basically as functional as the outside seats. It has an integrated seatbelt and full LATCH capability. The only real disadvantage is that it is large and heavy like the other seats, so you have to lug it out and store it somewhere to convert to a 7-passenger model.

So, it really depends how often you're going to be changing configurations. Too bad neither the Sienna or Odyssey offer the nice fold flat seats in the second row like Chrysler or Nissan.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default A little late, but

I just wanted to chime in here about the vans.

I got an '05 Odyssey this past summer and LOVE it. I had to make the difficult choice between the Odyssey and Sienna. Both are great vans. I preferred the styling of the Odyssey. I thought it handled a bit better, though the Sienna was quieter. Overall, when I purchased, the Odyssey was a better deal (I got an EX with leather). You may be able to get a GREAT price on an '05 if you can still find one.

The EX-L (with or without DVD/Nav) and Touring do come with extra insulation, mainly because the 3/6 cylinder engine is apparently a bit noisier. I don't find it a noisy vehicle, but my recollection is that the Sienna was quieter (but no available "eco" engine).

I also wanted to say that the 2nd row "8th" seat in the Odyssey is not for any child seat, not that one would fit anyway. I just checked my manual, but can't find the exact reference. We did ask the dealer about this prior to buying and they told us no child seats should go there (maybe that's just a Canadian thing?). The seat is very narrow, but much easier to install/remove than the Sienna 2nd row center seat (I can do it by myself). It is really more of a spare seat, IMO.

As for the sliding rear passenger door issues on the older Odysseys, I know this was a problem in the past (we have neighbors who have had 3 Odysseys and one had this problem). HOWEVER, the '05 and newer Odysseys have sliding doors that auto-reverse when something is in the doorway (like an arm). They work very well.

The Odyssey does come with some great features. I tell everyone I bought the most expensive 2nd row window shades. What a GREAT feature! :)

The only real downside to the Odyssey is that if you happened to have FOUR children in FFg seats (that here, Canada, must be tethered), you can't do it in the Odyssey. I have no plans on needing 4 FFg seats, but if you had quads, it would definitely be an issue.

HTH
    Melissa

Maya Papaya!
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Just called Honda

Honda Canada says you can not install any child seat (RFg, FFg) in the 2nd row stowable seat (the 8th seat). I asked if it would be different in a US Odyssey and the CS agent said he couldn't say.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

Elizasmom Guest

I decided on the 7 seater after agonizing about the 8 seater. I have not regreted my decision and I think I would have regreted the 8 seater. Here are my reasons:

1. The two middle row outboard seating positions are much closer to the doors in the 8 seater. There is a significantly larger gap between the seats and the doors with the 7 seater. This was very important to me due to my concerns about side impacts. A few inches can make a huge difference (I know this from first hand experience- my daughter's head was just a couple of inches from impact in our accident).

2. With the 8-seater, two of your three kids would have to be be on the side position. With a 7 seater, your child in the third row can be in the center. The safety benefits of being in the center balance out the increased risk of being in the far back, so it's a wash in my opinion. Meanwhile, your two kids in the center position will be SAFER in the 7 seater (see 1 above!). So there you have it, I think the 7 seater is actually slightly safer than the 8 seater for three kids.

3. You can not easily get to the back row with three kids in the center row. The back row is useful for diaper changes and throwing coats and things. I would hate for it to not even be used, which is what would happen. 7 seats is more functional

4. Resale value. The 8-seater may be harder to sell.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast