Default Baby seat for a golf cart?

I have searched all over the web and I can't find any information on whether it's safe to bring a toddler on a golf cart, and whether car seats can be installed on golf carts.

DS is 17 months old, and I'd like to bring him with our family as we take in a very leisurely round of golf while on vacation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether this is a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

Suzanne

kboyle Guest

Default RE: Baby seat for a golf cart?

I can't answer you post, but I was actually thinking about this today. DH golfs a lot and got me some shoes & clubs for xmas. DS1 will be 3 this summer and I was thinking of bringing him with us a few times this summer. I would assume that as long as the course is ok with you holding him on your lap, you should be fine. I'd call and see what type of procedure they have for those with kids.

We live on a golf course and own a golf cart and DD rides with us everywhere. We're only on the golf path and certainly not going at a break-neck speed LOL! When she was a baby we just held her and now that she is 3 she'll either sit on our lap or between us.

Niki

mommy2maya Guest

We have a golf cart at our campground and our children have ridden in it since they've been babies. The speed limit in our campground is 5mph, imo, not dangerous. We do use common sense- like holding onto little ones, no standing, etc. We've never had a problem.

I don't think there are any seatbelts on golf carts to install a seat (and I can assure you, no carseat manual allows it).
    I wouldn't worry at all, though, I'm really sure you can just sit her on the seat (but a carseat WOULD be more comfy for her, I'm sure! If they have seatbelts, I'd probably use one ;) )
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Jasweena Guest

DH and I recently were on Catalina Island, where there are very few automobiles. Most people get around in golf carts. I saw several seats installed with seat belts on the carts - one of them was even rearfacing.

That said, I doubt that it's really "allowed" by any carseat manufacturer, so that's a parental decision you have to make.

I would call the golf course and ask - for one thing their carts may not even have seat belts, and for another they may not allow kids on the course anyway.

At any rate, have a great vacation!

Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I feel much better - sometimes it's hard to know when to freak out and be over-cautious and when to just relax.

I'll plan to carry DS on my lap and I'm sure it will be fine.

Cheers,
    Suzanne

One thing about riding in (on?) a golf cart - you usually get on and off frequently. Putting a child in and out of a carseat that often would get old real fast! I would probably carry a younger child in a sling or front carrier.