Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Penalty for not using car seat?

As far as the idea that "since we (their own children) all lived without carseats, then why is it a big deal if we take a quick drive out somewhere wihtout one?", remind them that today there are a lot more cars on the road, a lot more inexperienced drivers, people driving faster and more dangerously, etc. than there were then. Another argument if you have a car, is that there's a lot more bigger vehicles like trucks, SUVs & Hummers, that pose more of a danger because of their weight versus a car.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Do they use a seatbelt every time they're in the car? If yes, then the car seat is the exact same thing for your child. If no, well then you do have a bit of convincing to do. But stand your ground. Both sets of grandparents no longer say anything about carseats, when DS should be FF etc. It took a little while, but they now just go along with what I've set up.
    Nicci

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

>We all survived, but was there ever an accident? No accident,
    >well that's just dumb luck. :)

Actually you can use the argument that we did not all survive. Cars were far more deadly in the 1970s, 1960s, 1950s and before. Part of that is basic physics- cars are designed for safety now in addition to laws mandating seatbelts and car seats for children. And it can be substainiated with the falling rates of fatal and serious injury automobile accidents. Even so, car related accidents are still the leading cause of death to children ages 1-12. :(

Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Nicci, this is my point - they only started using seatbelts themselves when it became the law to have to do so. Before that, they didn't always bother. That's why I'm asking about the laws regarding car seats. And it actually looks like in my state, it's a fine if you don't use a carseat.
    Which, to me and all other moms seems like nothing, but frankly, saying "it's the law with consequences if you break it" will actually do more than explaining the physics, safety , etc of car seats, which believe me, I have done until I am blue in the face.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Why not just say "because I'm the mom, and I said so". Don't we all have a right to do that when we become moms, just like our moms did before us? I can't see that laws, which are generally weak in this area (as you can see above) will change their mind on this one.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Also remind them that all the children who DIED due to lack of carseats aren't here to tell their side of the story. That's what irks me the most about the "we all lived to tell" arguement for not using seats.

Even when given the law and the consequence it may not matter to them. My ILs are like that and unfortunately are no longer left alone with my kids in large part because of it. I don't believe a young child should be put in the position of arguing with the g'parent, so mine are no longer in that position. They hold the same "It will never happen to us, we raised our kids without a problem...." mentality. It has caused them to put my children's lives at risk and also those of my dh's nieces and nephews. *For me* that was too great a risk!!! I would show them the video clip a pp mentioned though. Sorry I don't have any great insight about changing their views. :-(
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

If you don;t think they's investigate it too closely, why not make something up? Just do the vague sort of response that implies that you would be fined, possibly jailed, but that you would also be paid a visit by CPS. I think that is a reasonable thing to say and I understand what you're dealing with. My mom is the one that still insists that we should give DD a bit of brandy in her bottle to help with teething. No amount of research or argument will convince her otherwise. I think it has more to do with her own insecuruties as a parent--if it is so bad to do, then she endangered my life by doing it. I bet your IL's have the same issue, way deep down!;-)

amp Guest

I know this must be hard. I would really just try reiterating that, regardless of the actual consequence, it *IS* the law and that it is non-negotiable, both with the law *AND* with you and that they *MUST* follow that rule if they are ever to watch your children. Really, I know many people don't understand all the "rules" we have now, because they didn't do it when our parents and grandparents had babies, but really, we know better now, and that doesn't mean they were bad parents. But it also doesn't mean that we should do things the old way either.

alaskadiver Guest

Here in Texas, failure to use a car seat is considered a moving violation and costs 2 points off your license. The fee schedule is as follows:

No Seatbelt/Driver $135.00
    No Seatbelt/Passenger over 15 years of age $135.00
    No Seat Belt/Child 5 to 17 years of age $249.00
    No Child Safety Seat: 2 to 4 years of age $249.25
    No Child Safety Seat: Under 2 years of age $249.25

In addition, if they catch you without a carseat in an accident or in a construction zone they can double the fine.

Finally, your insurance rates could be affected.

Why mess with it? Driving without a car seat is one of those bad habits that you just don't want to get into. Do it for a short trip in the neighborhood today and next week it will be easier to do it for a longer trip someplace else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast