momoftwo Guest

Default The best convertible seats?

My sil needs a convertible seat for her 7 m-o who has passed the weight limit for an infant seat. They're not super rich. She's a teacher and he is a new salesman.

What would you suggest?
    Anne

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: The best convertible seats?

Can you tell us more about the cars this seat will be used in? Do they have LATCH or will it be a seatbelt install? What's the child's weight etc. What's their budget. Are they planning on having more kids? This all helps to give better suggestions.

Nicci

momoftwo Guest

OK, sorry for the lack of info.

They have a Nissan small SUV, can't think of the name. The baby is reaching the limit of infant seats, so that's 20+ lbs, right? I have no idea on budget. They are pretty strapped for a young couple on teacher's budget. They probably are planning to have more. She's my sil, not sister, so I don't have all the details.

Anne

Cosco Scenera ($40.00-50.00) or Safety First Uptown ($99.00). HTH.
    Melinda - mom to 3 beautiful girls and an awesome boy

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd agree. The Scenera isn't very well padded but kiddos don't seem to care. We've got the older version of that seat, a Touriva, in DH's car. I just orderd a Safety First Uptown to replace it with - it's got more padding, plusher cover and slightly higher harness slots so it should last a little longer. We're going to keep our Touriva as the spare/travel seat.

Both these seats only harness to 40lbs, and as children outgrow seats by height before weight, their child might not be ready for a booster once they're too big for this seat. So they may need to purchase a higher weight harnessed seat later on...but that's at least a few years away. If they do plan on more children, they can pass this seat down to the baby, and get a new bigger seat for the older child.

Also there is a Britax clone seat sold under fisher price but made by Britax. It's similar to the Marathon minus a few things, it goes for about $150 and has a 55lb weight limit.

Sometimes you can get Britax seats on sale - check out Albee baby. I think they had some Marathons for $209, sounds like a lot but over 5 years it's a little over $40 a year.

HTH