Default Seat for 3yo after MA?

DS will be 3 next Friday. He outgrew his Snugride at 3.5 months and moved into a MA, which we have LOVED (best seat EVER, btw!). I am due in less than 8 weeks with DS2 and will be in the market, if Baby Brother follows in Big Brother's footsteps, for another seat at the end of the summer. My plan is to put the baby in the MA when he outgrows the Snugride and move DS1 into something that uses a 5 point harness until he's like 16 or so! ;)

I have been reading the board and there are a bunch of options out there. I'm leaning toward the Regent just because I want higher weight and height limits and then it can be passed on to the baby later on. DS is 39 inches and 36 lbs at a week shy of 3 years. He's always been tall and probably always will be. I can only *assume* that the baby will be tall as well as DH is 6'1" and I'm 5'11" --- the boys are getting it from both of us so there's not much choice for them! :)

I guess my biggest question is this: for the height of my boys, is the Regent the best choice or is there something else? We will likely buy two seats so cost is also a factor.

Thanks for your thoughts! I know the same things are discussed over and over and over but not everything exactly matches my situation, kwim? ;)

Kim
    ~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ April 2004
    ...and baby boy #2 due 5.24.07!

Default RE: Seat for 3yo after MA?

Yup, the Regent is totally the tallest out there...lasts 'average' kids to age 9-11, so I'm sure it'd fit your big guy till at least age 7-8 or longer.
    The Cosco Apex (Alpha Elite... Safety 1st 'whatever'...it has many names), goes to 65 and has tall top slots, a tich taller than the Marathon, I think..you might want to look at that for your second seat, or the Safeguard Go for a second seat (really best with LATCH, needs top tether and headrest), which is also good for traveling (can't bring that Regent anywhere!). The Evenflo Triumph is going to be reintroduced and will have much taller top slots and go to 50 pounds, so maybe check for reviews on that. AND...if you feel like you need the convenience of an infant seat longer with this kiddo, then the Graco Safeseat 1 goes to 30 pounds/32 inches and fits average kids to 18-24 months, it might be big enough to get your kiddo all the way through next winter. Just something to think about :)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Thanks, Julie! You're a great help, as always! :)
    Kim
    ~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ April 2004
    ...and baby boy #2 due 5.24.07!

How about the new Recaro convertible that's SUPPOSED to be coming out in June/July? It's rumored to be 35lb RF, 70lbs FF and have tall top slots. That may be another good choice too.
    Mommy to Gwen 2/7/04 & Nora 4/1/08.

I'm due in June with a bigger son who just turned 3 years old also. I went for leaving my older son as is and buying the upcoming baby a new infant seat. My first son also outgrew the snugride right at 4 months. I'm buying the second one a safeseat in order to get us through the winter instead of risking having the second one outrgrow the snugride right as it was getting cold. Figure that postpones our need for new seats for the older one at least a year from now. Hopefully more will be out for bigger, older kids by then.