Boogiemama Guest

Default Booster for 5 year old with wide shoulders

Hi, first of all I have 5 Britax Marathons and they are great, I have been rear-ended with the kids in the car in their Marathon and the kids were fine, I was hurt but the kids were fine, praise God.

Anyway, my just turned 5 year old is 47 pounds and 44+ inches tall, with wide shoulders and a small rump, I think he will be a swimmer like my dad with shoulder power.

The Marathon should still work for him, weight wise, but his shoulders touch the sides and he just barely fits in, shoulder wise. I would like to buy a booster for him, and maybe two so we could bring a friend home with us sometimes. I am trying to figure out how to be safe and keep the 3 year old in a Marathon, and add 2 boosters, one for all the time one for once in awhile.

I have a Blazer. DH has a volvo wagon. Any suggestions, are there any boosters with harnesses that would work or would he be too big in the shoulder for all of those.
    Any moms with big shouldered boys out there?

Boogiemama Guest

Default RE: Booster for 5 year old with wide shoulders

Hi-
    A very nice lady emailed me and told me about the cpssafety.org website:

" www.cpsafety.org, there may be a booster page, and there's a 'kids
    harnessed past 40 pounds page' that will give you an idea of how
    bigger kids look in various seats"

After reading about boosters there I decided my particular kid needs a 5 point harness because he often falls asleep in the car and boosters without 5 points require kids to be mature enough to sit in the car properly at all times. My just turned 5 year old has his good days and wild days as well as often sleeps in car so I am now looking at getting a Britax with Harness or something similar to a regent, even if it only lasts a year and a half until he is more mature and too tall for it. For the second car (DH) and Grandma car I may get boosters that can fit 3 across with the Marathon my 3 year old is in. I would like to find a good less expensive option for the 2nd and 3rd cars. does anyone know about the Generations Booster Seat ($99.99) vs Evenflo Chase ($69.99) for ease of use for grandma (like seatbelts easy to snap and stay in place, belts not tangling, not too hard to install or too heavy to get out.

Boogiemama Guest

Hi-
    A very nice lady emailed me and told me about the cpssafety.org website:

" www.cpsafety.org, there may be a booster page, and there's a 'kids
    harnessed past 40 pounds page' that will give you an idea of how
    bigger kids look in various seats"

After reading about boosters there I decided my particular kid needs a 5 point harness because he often falls asleep in the car and boosters without 5 points require kids to be mature enough to sit in the car properly at all times. My just turned 5 year old has his good days and wild days as well as often sleeps in car so I am now looking at getting a Britax with Harness or something similar to a regent, even if it only lasts a year and a half until he is more mature and too tall for it. For the second car (DH) and Grandma car I may get boosters that can fit 3 across with the Marathon my 3 year old is in. I would like to find a good less expensive option for the 2nd and 3rd cars. does anyone know about the Generations Booster Seat ($99.99) vs Evenflo Chase ($69.99) for ease of use for grandma (like seatbelts easy to snap and stay in place, belts not tangling, not too hard to install or too heavy to get out.

catfeet is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

You may wanna look at the Safety First Apex 65 or the Regent. Hands down, those are the two widest seats I can think of that are harnessed.

HTH,
    Ann

Hey, that's me :). Why did I not recommend the Apex? Too wide, I think...:/...not for your kiddo, but for most cars with three-across situations...anyway, this thread is bumped, maybe someone else has a great idea to share! (I've been in Hawaii and just got home this weekend, things are a bit hectic, lol).

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx