emschwar is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Installation question - can a tech help?

I just installed the roundabout (FF) and the snugride in the back of our 1998 civic. (In 90 degree weather while having contractions! Fun!) Snugride is in the outboard passenger side, the RA is in the middle. The seats are touching, and the RA isn't exactly in the center. I was still able to secure it with the center belt, and the female end of the belt (don't know the technical term for that piece) isn't pulled to the side at all. Ok? Not ok?

(I could move the RA to the other outboard side, but we only have the tether in the center position, so I'd like to use that if I can.)

Thanks!!!
    #1 - 4/2004
    #2 - 9/2007

bensmom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: Installation question - can a tech help?

Generally, it's fine for the 2 seats to touch, as long as they are each installed well, independent of the other seat. I can't picture what you mean about the buckle (female end). Make sure that each seat is tight, not moving more than 1 inch at the belt path (and not just because the other seat stops it).

I had the same combination of seats installed next to each other in my car for a while. It seemed to work well.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

The seats seem to be installed solid. I gave them both good tugs and neither moved in either direction. I just didn't know if it was ok that the RA was in the middle position, but shoved to the side a bit by the snugride.

When DH comes home, I'll try to take some pics of how it looks to see if that'll help explain it.
    #1 - 4/2004
    #2 - 9/2007

Just an update.

I was having the seats in my car inspected today, so I had DH meet us there (he drives the civic) and the techs said it was fine to have the seats the way they were. Their only concern was Noah being close enough to mess with the baby, but that's not something I'm worried about, and since I know well enough how to install the RA, they were fine with us leaving it as is and I can move him over if need be. But seat safety wise, there was no reason not to have the seats like they were.
    #1 - 4/2004
    #2 - 9/2007

<thumbs up>
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx