Boogiemama Guest

Default 5 point harness booster for 2nd, 3rd grandma car Generations Booster Evenflo Chase Suggestions

Hi-

I have a 5 year old with wide shoulders and small rump and he has outgrown his Britax Marathon. I am loooking for which 5 point harness to get for second and 3rd (grandma's) cars. Grandma needs one very easy to use and install and pull straps tight.

A very nice lady emailed me and told me about the cpssafety.org website:

" www.cpsafety.org, there may be a booster page, and there's a 'kids
    harnessed past 40 pounds page' that will give you an idea of how
    bigger kids look in various seats"

After reading about boosters there I decided my particular kid needs a 5 point harness because he often falls asleep in the car and boosters without 5 points require kids to be mature enough to sit in the car properly at all times. My just turned 5 year old has his good days and wild days as well as often sleeps in car so I am now looking at getting a Britax with Harness or something similar to a regent, even if it only lasts a year and a half until he is more mature and too tall for it. For the second car (DH) and Grandma car I may get boosters that can fit 3 across with the Marathon my 3 year old is in. I would like to find a good less expensive option for the 2nd and 3rd cars. does anyone know about the Generations Booster Seat ($99.99) vs Evenflo Chase ($69.99) for ease of use for grandma (like seatbelts easy to snap and stay in place, belts not tangling, not too hard to install or too heavy to get out.

Any suggestions, experience? Anyone hate one of those and return it or toss it?

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: 5 point harness booster for 2nd, 3rd grandma car Generations Booster Evenflo Chase Suggestions

When you say he has outgrown the MA, do you mean his shoulders are higher than the top slots on that seat? If so, the Chase and the Generations both have lower top slots than the MA and will not work to keep him harnessed.

The Radian has slightly higher top slots than the MA, but is a bit narrower so might not work. The Regent has the highest top slots.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: 5 point harness booster for 2nd, 3rd grandma car Generations Booster Evenflo Chase Suggestions

Are you wanting to use the Generations or Chase just as a booster (not harnessed)? If so, there are much better choices for boosters. In a three across, I would look at the Britax Parkway first. The lack of armrests means it is easier to buckle next to another seat. It is also easier for other people to use properly.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

The problem with the Chase and the Generations is that they both only harness to 40 pounds. Have you looked into the Apex 65? It is a great seat that harnesses to 65 pounds, then turns into a decent booster. One problem that people complain about this seat is that the crotch strap is too short, but you can get a longer one from the company for free.