Default Removing Graco SafeSeat base from car

Over this past weekend, my husband installed our Graco SafeSeat (Step 1) in to the rear center position of our Chevrolet Impala using the LATCH system. He was very proud of himself and boasted about how easy it was to do, however, when I checked it, I noticed that he hadn’t secured the regular car seatbelt properly. We tried to remove the base of the SafeSeat and found that, somehow, it is well and truly stuck, and that we were unable to loosen the LATCH adjustment belt. I’ve read through the instructions a number of times and searched online for removal instructions, but have had no luck. I imagine there is a fairly simple way of loosening the adjustment belt and removing the base from the car, but we’re just not seeing it.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks!

Default RE: Removing Graco SafeSeat base from car

Sit on it... you have to get enough slack in the latch belt to be able to loosen it up with the adjuster, and usually the best trick is to add weight to the base to compress the cushion a little more so you can get in there to loosen the belt and ultimately unhook the hooks (on those, you want to push them down further in, then give them a half twist after you push the little metal flap in, then they uhook easily).

But what do you mean the seatbelt was wrong? You only do the LATCH OR the seatbelt, never both (if that's what you meant...)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a go when my husband gets home with the car.

Yep, I know not to use the LATCH and seatbelt systems at the same time to secure the seat. What I meant was that when the base was installed, the regular seatbelt wasn't moved out of the way properly and so it had twisted itself up between the base and the back of the seat.

Thanks again.

Phew on the seatbelts (I sort of thought about it later and thought you might mean that.... :) )

Good luck! Oh, if it happens to be dialed up to get a steeper recline, dial it back down to loosen the straps a bit, that might help.

Tell us how it goes!
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Leah.aspx