Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Aprica Experts.. question on aprica Windor Presitge?

I just feel I have to respond to some of the messages people put on this board. This is supposed to be an informative forum where people share information. I have recommended this board to many new parents looking for guidance and several have commented to me about some of the messages on the stroller board. There is a bit of stroller "snobbery" on this board and if you don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for six different strollers you are choosing "convenience over safety". Ridiculous!

Each person should be able to choose a stroller that fits their needs. If someone wants to use an infant carrier with a stroller there is no harm in that. Should you leave an infant in a carrier all day? No. You shouldn't leave an infant in any one position all day. I know pediatricians who recommend an infant sleep in the carrier at night if that's the only way that baby feels comfortable. I know parents who have done that and their children are fine.

As to padding and head support, many of these strollers are intended mostly for use when the baby is several months old. Thus, the interest in the carrier attachments. The point is that most strollers are sufficient and if you feel like your baby needs a bit more you can always add a pad to it.

There is no one stroller for everyone and people should not be made to feel as if they are less of a caring parent or less concerned about their babies' safety if they don't choose the one that you happen to think is best. No one else knows my needs. There are people, myself included, who would rather buy a stroller sufficient to my needs and invest the money I save in my child's college fund, which they'll appreciate more in the long run.

Everyone has different needs. Just because you wouldn't pick it, doesn't mean it isn't safe. IMHO

Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

double post-computer issues
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

tinkerbell1217 Guest

I have never been remotely accused of being a snob and I apologize if I came off that way, I was expressing an opinion. The fact remains that using an infant car seat for extended periods of time isn't a good idea. That said, I have STILL recommended the SNG on ocassion for someone who has no idea what their stroller needs will be as a good "quick errand" stroller while they consider their options. Its not that I recommend certain strollers cuz I wouldn't pick others, I happen to think its better for baby NOT to be in an infant car seat for more tha half an hour or so at a time. I see so many parents wheeling their babies around the mall for hours on end in an infant car seat/stroller combo and I feel bad for them. I think lots of people are misguided into thinking they have to have a travel system. That its the "only way to go". As far as the $$ part of it goes, sure an Aprica is more expensive than a PP or a Graco, but most people(not all) will use their stroller for quite a long time. Personally, I do not own more than 2 strollers. I see much more discussion on things like the Bugaboo and thats an $800 investment.

Bottom line, there are reasons not to use an infant car seat for long periods of time. They are studied and documented health reasons, although I don't have links to prove my point I am sure someone does. No, it doesn't make anyone a better or worse parent, I am just stating what I believe to be true and what I believe in. Just like breastfeeding moms and co sleeping moms do all the time here. I read, I listen, I contemplate, and of course make my own conclusions whether I agree with them or not. But, I find those discussions MUCH more "snobbish" and heated at times. Just MHO.

About the Aria question for a NB, as with many other lighter weight strollers, no its really not intended for NB use, no full recline, thus I understand the need for a car seat attachment system, but I still don't think the majority of people who use them understand the whole plagiocephaly and respiratory problems issues. If a baby NEEDS to sleep in an infant carrier.car seat that one thing, but MOST babies do not.

I didn't think of you as being a "snob", I thought you were trying to post useful information. The research that is out now about the dangers of leaving babies in car seats is relatively new. Many new moms don't know about it. Maybe many doctors don't, either. But leaving babies in car seats too long has been directly linked to plagiocephaly, respiratory problems, inteference with spinal development, and cases of strangulation have been reported. (Babies who are sleeping in unstrapped car seats slide down because of the odd angle, can't right themselves, and suffocate.)

Car seats are supposed to be very confining, and of hard plastic, to keep babies safe in accidents. But particularly in Europe, the belief is that babies should lie flat, and be able to wriggle around a little bit, like in a carrycot or bassinette. I would prefer to see a baby lying flat in a fully reclining stroller any day, over a car seat. And I could care less if it is a used thrift shop Evenflo, as long as the baby is lying flat.

It chills me to see people out for a leisurely stroll with babies in car seats. I have asked many if they know it is not good for their babies, and none of them have had any idea, nor had heard of any of the research. Blame it on the US marketing of travel systems, and clueless salespeople.

There has been many links of research on this board about the dangers of leaving babies in car seats, even doctors themselves have posted here about it. You can do a search on this board if you want to know more. The last recommendation has been to leave babies in car seats no more than 20 minutes, when not actually in the car. Even that is too long in my opinion.
    Strollerqueen

tinkerbell1217 Guest

Thanks strollerqueen. I totally agree with the marketing of travel systems and clueless salespeople and putting most of the blame on them. So true. Just today I saw a lady pushing a travel system and asked her if she had a car, just out of curiosity. She said no. So, I asked if she ever traveled in cars, she said not really. Once in a blue moon. I asked why she chose the travel system with a car seat and she said she thought it was necessary and she was "supposed" to buy it that way. By then she was getting antsy with me so I didn't pursue it any further and she left. Thats exactly what I was referring to. Lots of parents, especially first timers are led to believe they have to have a travel system.

I totally agree with laying babies in fully reclined strollers instead of transferring from car to stroller in the infant car seat all the time. I never do it, my car seat wouldn't fit my stroller anyway and my stroller isn't made that way in the first place. My DD wakes sometimes, sure, but she falls back asleep most of the time and if she doesn't, I deal.

I am sure there are instances where having a travel system is the best option and using it sparingly is fine.

Thanks again, I felt so bad before!

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

With all of this said and done, does this Aprica lie flat for a newborn?

cdmenn Guest

Yes it does lie flat- you can see the specs at www.babyride.com and sutomer service at aprica is very helpful for any other questions,

Yes, the Windsor Prestige does! That is a fabulous price for a great lightwieght stroller/carriage. It has a flat book fold, sports the reversible handle, boot, basket which is able to be pulled out to access when the baby is reclined. The frame has a flexibility to it meant as suspension. people either LOVE it or HATE it, lol. I find it gives a pram like sway to the push, but know many people feel it makes it seem rickety. What has impressed me most about my Apricas is how they are made for the comfort of the baby/child riding, even my 5 year old has said that is the most comfy seat ever! ;-)

I have the Super Zap in that same red plaid and a Quantum Royale (similar to the Windsor but from the lower priced Royale line when the Prestige line was available). Both are very nice strollers, and I am having a very hard time parting with them, lol. If you want to see pics to get a feel for the carriage style or the fabric of the Scozzese in real life pictures they are on the "Aprica" page on my site.

HTH~
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default one more Question about prestige

How big are the wheels and is it ok for pushing outdoors? We have already purchased the MBUS (this is our 3rd one 1 for each DIL and one for DD) so that will be the main outdoors one, but just wondering about the Aprica's ability outside.

Do all 4 sets of wheels swivel?

Default RE: one more Qyeation about prestige

I am not sure the wheel size on the Windsor. I know that the wheels are under a life time warrenty (sp) by Aprica, so if they wear down, they can be replaced. Their CS is fabulous about answering questions too(I've called usually though)! For an occassional outdoor thing it should be fine. I took mine last summer to a bunch of ball games and it did great over the grassy field. Much better than my Pegs. We live on an unpaved road, so I can't really tell you about taking outdoor walks. I know on my mom's AWFUL sidewalks it did very poorly, but her walks are some of the worst I have seen. I have used the Apricas in DC though and they did pretty darn well!

Swivels- all 4 wheels swivel and all 4 wheels lock. The front wheels must be locked together with a lever (on the Quantum, so I am thinking the Windsor would be the same), the back wheels each have an individual lock. Honestly, due to kicking I often did the 4 wheels unlocked thing when reversed, lol. I am pretty tall though. My husband alsways kind of liked being able to go sideways, especially when following me in a mall. ;-) Most of the time though we use it forward facing so that isn't even an issue at this point.

HTH~
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast