Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best stroller for a really TALL child???

I had a stroller all picked out - the Jeep AT one with the iPod connection. I have been saving for it for about a month. Well, I went to BRU and put Cat in said stroller to try it out. She's too tall for it. ####. So, I try her in about a half dozen other strollers - too tall for all of them. Then she lost her patience because it was too close to bedtime, so we left, sans stroller.

So, I need stroller rec's for a really tall kid. She's 36" and all torso. We had to move her from a ComfortSport to the Regent in carseats at about 28 mo because she outgrew the CS in height (her shoulders went above the top slat and her ears were above the shell). I want a stroller that she will be comfortable in in the recline position as well as upright. Currently, all the strollers I tried, her head goes above the back rest, so if you recline it, her head hangs of the edge and she gets no neck/head support when she's trying to nap. I'd like to keep it under $150 if possible.

Thanks!!!

ETA: She just woke up from her nap and I measured her sitting in her current stroller and also weighed her on the bathroom scale. Sitting down, from bottom to the top of her head is 22.5 inches; standing height is 36" even. She is 30 months and 30.6 lbs. I'd like to get a stroller that would last another year to year and a half (until she is 3.5-4ish).

Default RE: Best stroller for a really TALL child???

The problem is that most of the less expensive strollers DO have very small or short seats. You may have to up your budget a bit, or look for a gently used one on Strollerswap.
    Strollerqueen

I don't mind a gently used one, or an older model/clearance item, or anything like that... as long as it's in decent condition. What would you recommend?

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Actually, outgrowing the CS carseat at 28m isn't terribly early -- pretty average for that child seat.

Agreeing with HRH StrollerQueen, IMO you won't find a tall canopy/backrest in your price range new. Either up your budget or you'll have to buy used. Used isn't a bad thing if you shop wisely. StrollerSwap is your best bet. You could try Craigslist or eBay, but buyer beware.

FWIW, my DD#1 is taller/has longer torso (and was out of the CS carseat long before 28m). The tallest stroller/canopy in my stable is the BJCS (I have the double, but the single is the same height, just a different width). It is higher than the BOB Revolution or MBUS. All three are out of your price range, though -- probably even used. My P3 has a high canopy and seatback. You might find one of those for around your price (see other thread).

Here's a link to dimensions of various AT strollers:

http://www.joggingstroller.com/catal...e&sortKey=NAME

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Really? Everyone IRL acts like she is freakishly tall for her age. Glad she's not the only one. lol.

Anyway, regarding the strollers... On the Jeep one I was looking at (which was only $140 ;( ), it said that the child has outgrown the seat by the time the child was either 45 lbs or head was past the top of the back seat. Is that a general rule for all strollers or AT strollers? Or is that just for that stroller. It's easy to find the weight limits for the strollers, but not the height limits. It just seems like it would be really hard to sleep with a metal bar where your head is resting, kwim?

Thanks for that link. That's very helpful.

Currently, we have a cheap stroller that was part of a travel system (Graco LiteRider). I hate it. I have arthritis and my wrists and hands hurt after pushing it for even 20-30 minutes. :-(

I wish there were more affordable options that are still comfortable (for both of us. Grrr.

What kind of used strollers can you get for $150ish?

Ok, well thank you both so much for your help. If you can think of anything else that would help, I appreciate it.

>Actually, outgrowing the CS carseat at 28m isn't terribly
    >early -- pretty average for that child seat.
    >
    >Agreeing with HRH StrollerQueen, IMO you won't find a tall
    >canopy/backrest in your price range new. Either up your
    >budget or you'll have to buy used. Used isn't a bad thing if
    >you shop wisely. StrollerSwap is your best bet. You could
    >try Craigslist or eBay, but buyer beware.
    >
    >FWIW, my DD#1 is taller/has longer torso (and was out of the
    >CS carseat long before 28m). The tallest stroller/canopy in
    >my stable is the BJCS (I have the double, but the single is
    >the same height, just a different width). It is higher than
    >the BOB Revolution or MBUS. All three are out of your price
    >range, though -- probably even used. My P3 has a high canopy
    >and seatback. You might find one of those for around your
    >price (see other thread).
    >
    >Here's a link to dimensions of various AT strollers:
    >
    >http://www.joggingstroller.com/catal...e&sortKey=NAME
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Melissa
    >
    >DD#1: 04/2004
    >
    >DD#2: 01/2007

Do you want an AT stroller? Or was that just the style of the one you liked? If you let us know what you're wanting to use it for, I'm sure we can come up with some ideas. Your DD is the same size as mine is right now, and I have gone through the short-seat-back problem with her as well. There are several that will fit your DD, depending on what type of terrain you want to cover.

Sharon

I've been thinking about your dilemna. Then I remembered that a few citizens in Strollerland were able to score BOB Revolutions from their local Costcos for the astonishing price of, {{{drum roll}}} $149! I'd start calling around first thing in the morning.
    Strollerqueen

Sharon - I would like an AT stroller. We live in a town, but in a rural area, and the sidewalks and roads are not maintained at all here. It's kind of sad, really. I like to walk her to the park.

The main things that are important to me is that it steers well and is easy to push. I have lots of problems with my joints - GIA, fibromyalgia, carpel tunnel, HMJS... so I need something that's going to be easy to steer. I'd also like it to have a basket because I don't like carrying bags on my shoulders because it hurts.

Mostly, I will use it for walks in the neighborhood (another reason it needs to steer well... I am also walking my dog on a leash while pushing the stroller), shopping in malls, plazas, strip malls, etc. That's pretty much it. I don't run.

SQ - I am checking into the Costco thing asap. Thanks for the tip!

No BOB Revolutions at either of the Costcos by us. :-(

Ok... I have a few more questions. I am so confused.

First this one... I asked it earlier, but it kind of got buried in the middle of my reply. Does anyone know about this:
    On the Jeep one I was looking at (which was only $140 ), it said that the child has outgrown the seat by the time the child was either 45 lbs or head was past the top of the back seat. Is that a general rule for all strollers or AT strollers?

Melissa - you mentioned that the tallest stroller/canopy is the BJCS (or at least that is is higher than the BOB Revolution or MBUS), but on the link that you gave me, the seat backs for the BJCS was 20.6", for the BOB 21", and for the MBUS 24" (which was the tallest, followed by P&T SP at 23"). So is it just fabric then between the seat back and the canopy? How does that affect your child's ability to lay back for naps? Do all of those seats recline?

Thanks again - you two are awesome for helping me figure this out. I'm more confused than I was in Chemistry class. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast