Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: Best stroller for a really TALL child???

I think Joggingstroller.com measures just the seatback itself, which is only part of the equation.

I just measured my 2005 MBUS (the new ones come with an extra-tall canopy standard, mine is the regular canopy, but the XT only gives you an extra 1-2" IIRC). In the upright position, it is 23" from the base of the seat to the top inside of the canopy. The same measurement on my 2006 BOB Revolution is 24.5". And, it is nearly 28" (not a typo) on my BJCSD. And, yes, the actual seatback (when in the reclined position) is 20.5" on the BJCSD.

So, in actual user terms, I'd say the BJCSD gives the most inner height (to top of canopy) than the others. That accords with most user reports on this forum.

I would be OK taking my chances on maxing out the weight on a higher end stroller than I would on a low-end stroller. However, StrollerQueen has reported that the e3 frame bends if you overload that and I wouldn't consider that a low-end stroller.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Yes, I do find that they are somewhat off on their measurements. I get 24" on the newest MB's, from the seat bottom to the inside of the canopy. My older one with the X Tall canopy was a little taller. So of course the seatback is shorter. They also list the Valco as having a 30" seatback! So not possible. The tallest seatback I measured was 23", the E3.
    Strollerqueen

No, there is no "height" rule on strollers. Never seen one. The general rule is that if they can fit, are comfortable, and you can push them in the stroller easily, then it is fine. As Melissa pointed out, the weight limit is more important on lower-end strollers, because the frames can bend with heavier weights, or they just get impossible to push. There are some, like the MB, that just seem to have an umlimited weight limit. One reason I love it so! I just wish the seats were a little bigger.
    Strollerqueen

Patapsco Mom Guest

Hi-

I have freakishly tall children, too. :)

My 23 month old DD measured 37 inches tall at the pediatrician's in June. She was towering over a 3 yr old at the pool yesterday.

Our 11 month old DS is 30" tall already!

We have the same dilemma on strollers. Right now I'm looking for a light weight double for the car and it's making me NUTS I can't find out the height info for these things.

This doesn't help you, probably, but for an AT we ended up with an ABC Everest Twin. too mucho $$$, but has a WONDERFULLY TALL canopy!! Pushes like a dream, TONS of storage, can't say enough good things about it! The downside is that it's a beast for loading in/out of the car.

They have a single that I'm sure is easier to comeby on stroller swap, etc., so you might see what you can work out on that one. With your arthritis, etc. I would only recommend this if it's going to be kept in a garage or something where you're not having to heave it in/out of the car. I have arthritis (and a dog) too, so know how important this stuff is.

That said, I looked at the BJCSD, and it was just as cumbersome, and IMHO, not as good in a number of ways...but certainly easier to get my hands on!

Best of luck to you. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Melissa is right....the AT with the highest headroom has been determined to be the Baby Jogger City Series (either single or double). My 46" DS has room under the hood in our BJCSD if I need him to have a seat. I can even partially recline him if he wants to nap. That measurement on joggingstroller.com for the MBUS hasn't been right since they first posted it. :-( The E3/Sport also has a tall seat back, but the hood isn't nearly as good as the BJ hood is, and IMO the BJ is an overall better-made stroller.

HTH, Sharon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2