rodmar Guest

Default The First Years Hands-Free Gate

Does anyone have experience with the Hands-Free Gate by The First Years? It is pressure mounted and has a foot pedal to open the little gate. I would appreciate any comments you would have.

Thanks,
    Marcia

Momof1soon2 Guest

Default RE: The First Years Hands-Free Gate

I have this gate in the doorway of my daughters' room. I am unable to close the door, and am very unhappy with this. I plan to replace the gate with something else (?) and use it elsewhere in my house. Hope this helps.

luvrose Guest

We have it between our family room and kitchen. We returned the first one because we thought it was bent, but after the second one realized that they all come that way -- the pressure of installation causes the supports to straighten out.

We like ours, although our daughter loves to play "open and shut" with it, but she can't step down hard enough to open it. And whamming your hip into it in the middle of the night hurts like *&#@!

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a little rounded "threshold" that tends to accumulate crumbs.

JanaM Guest

We have this gate and love it! Our DS (nicknamed Houdini) has yet to be able to get over or through it. We too get the crumbs but I just run a baby wipe periodically around the base (I'm thinking of writing a book, 1001 uses for baby wipes!). Also, we had a 1year birthday party for DS and everybody was just lingering in the living room. I couldn't figure out why nobody was visiting the buffet in the dining room until my 6yr old nephew came up to me and said "Auntie Jana, I have to go to the bathroom REALLY BAD". It turned out nobody could get it open and nobody wanted to admit it! Talk about safe, it not only kept a 6yr old in but adults as well. LOL Once you get the hang of it, it is really simple to open hands free.

Jana

JanaM Guest

Default Update...

We have gone out and purchased another hands-free gate for Houdini's bedroom door. It appears the foot pedal has been slightly redesigned since we got the first one last march. It also now takes much less pressure and is smoother to open the gate. This one will not keep everybody trapped in the living room. I was sort of worried that Houdini would be able to open it as it is so easy, but, he tried and was unable to press the pedal. I still give this gate a great big thumbs up, but prefer the stiffer pedal. :)

Jana