Thread: cats

tro Guest

Default cats

Does anyone have any advice regarding how to keep our two very affectionate 20 lb cats out of the crib. I plan on getting one of those safety nets for the crib but I wonder whether it will be enough. Does anyone have any experience with that product or others?

Geebee Guest

Default RE: cats

In the beginning, we just kept the door closed at all times. Even before our baby was born, we kept the door closed to minimize cat hair. The cats never became used to spending time in the room.

Our girl is 18 months old, and her door is always closed when she sleeps. We did this from day one - she slept in her room with the door closed (in a bassinet at first, and then in a crib).

Now, I leave the door open when our girl is awake (so she can go into her room), and the cats don't really go in her room. They go in occasionally, but they come right back out.

It helps to have a separate room for your baby, but it might be tricky if you have your baby sleeps in your room. Cats are a good reason to have a separate room for the baby.

I hope that helps.

Storm Guest

We also have two cats and keep the door to the our daughter's bedroom closed. However, we did replace the bedroom door and instead of the standard six panel solid door, we put up a plain wooden screen door which we painted white. It didn't cost that much and we have received numerous compliments on how cute it is. It keeps the cats out but they can still see us. It also allows good air circulation, you can see/hear the baby easily and really was inexpensive and easy to do.

We thought about netting, but our cats both jumped into our pack n play which we covered with netting anyway so we figured that would not stop them

gina Guest

I too, have affectionate cats. We purchased a crib tent and use it daily. As someone wrote earlier, it may be helpful to keep cats out of baby's room, but my cats tend to sneak in somehow and LOVE to try to sleep in the baby's bed.

Benefits of the crib tent?
    1. I am very pleased with my crib tent. It keeps cats and their hair out!
    2. It attaches securely to the sides of the crib and has a zipper for closure.
    3. The top of the tent is sloped so that even when a cat attempts to jump up there, it's very difficult for them to find footing and settle down to rest. (both my cats tried - ONCE)
    4. As your baby gets older, the tent also serves to keep baby from crawling out (which my older daughter managed to do at 8 months of age- until be bought the tent! - we didn't have cats then)

Downsides of the crib tent?
    1. the velcro closures can stick to sweaters/clothes if not closed properly
    2. the zipper makes noise and can startle parent/baby at first
    3. can make changing linens a challenge - to solve this problem I use the ULTIMATE CRIB SHEET, and it's no longer an issue
    4. doesn't keep cats out if you don't zip it closed!
    5. you don't get to raise or lower the side of the bed because the tent is securely attached to both sides.

I am pleased with my tent because of the fact that it keeps my cats out of the crib. The zipper noise doesn't bother me any more, but it did at first. I have also had to do some family teaching about keeping the zipper closed at all times! :-)

Something else - My husband attached a metal hook to the top of the tent to hang the baby's mobile, slightly off center, since the hook that came with the mobile wouldn't fit inside the tent.
    Good Luck in your decision.

We have 2 cats as well and keep the doors closed to our bedroom and our daughter's room because they like to kiss us in the middle of the night, leave cat hair, and chew on our furniture (last one is the biggest reason). We hate that the air flow is diminished in our place. I love the screen idea! I actually pitched it jokingly to my husband but didn't know if it could really be done and look nice. Never thought about painting a wooden screen door white, cool. We probably will try it at our next place (we just listed our condo for sale and don't want to put anymore into it now). Thanks!
    Bridget
    Mom to
    DD 03/01
    DS 07/03
    DS 09/07
    DS 07/09

Leslie Kary Guest

We were faced with the same problem with our 3 cats wanting to get into the babies room. We came up with the ultimate answer. We removed the door to the baby's room and replaced it with a very decorative wooden screen door. It is great! We can shut the door and keep the cats out without shutting the baby in. The cats can sit outside the door and look in, feeling like part of the action without actually getting into the room. We can also look in on the baby very easily. It sounds strange but it is great!!

joodyjr Guest

We also put a screen door onto baby's room, (left regular door on). Best idea my brother ever had! Worked for him, and worked for us. With three cats, very NOSY cats, it was a super solution. Stained to match the woodwork, it looks nice. We even took an old alphabet block with the letter "N" (for "N"icholas) and screwed it on for the door handle. It matches great with his alphabet wallpaper.

BeverleyD Guest

I am not sure if your baby is born yet, but what we did that really seemed to work is put a whole lot of balloons in the crib when it arrived till before our baby came home from the hospital. Neither of our 2 cats dared to jump in and this seemed to last 9 months before one of them tried. Wish we'd done that to the stroller!

Shuezs Guest

We also used the screen door and it worked great! The three cats couldn't get in, but I could see and hear with no problems! Also, presented no problem in getting to baby quickly. And, if your cats are like mine, they jump from the floor to the bed without looking much and considering the problem of the ten?... I was afraid they'd jump and land on the tent.. and thought the tent looked sturdy, my cats suddenly looked really fat!
    Good luck!