Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Cats and new baby...

We want to prepare our nursery ahead of time, but our concern right now is our two cats. We want to keep the cats out of the baby's room and are wondering how others deal with this issue.

I've read some posts about people taking down the normal door and installing a wooden screen door in place of it. I've seen some pictures online and they can actually look pretty nice (like a french door only with screen instead of glass). I was also thinking that for an added feature, we could install a curtain or matchstick blind at the top of the door, that could drop down and cover the entire screen if it was ever necessary to provide a bit more protection between the baby's room and the hall (e.g. may muffle noise or prevent too much light streaming in).

Does anyone who's done the screen door have feedback? Anyone else have other ideas? We've decided the tent won't work for us because the crib we bought is a sleigh and won't work with the tent, and also we're wanting the cats to stay out of the nursery almost completely anyway, and not just the crib.

Thanks for the ideas/feedback :)

mbutler Guest

Default RE: Cats and new baby...

Tammy,

We installed a Kidco Safeway Gate on the door frame in front of the regular door. We chose this model because there is no bar on the bottom for people to trip over. It was pretty easy to install, it comes with all the necessary parts as well as a template to make sure you put the holes in the right place.

I had concerns that it might not look great, but it actually looks pretty nice. I think it looks better that a screen door would.

I was also concerned that our cats might jump over it, but since there is no place on top for them to land they have never even attempted (and our cats can jump on some pretty high counters!). It is also too narrow for them to walk through.

When it is no longer needed, we can move it to anywhere else in the house and easily spackle the door frame (much easier to repair than a wall).

Michael

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I recommend a spray bottle of water, some cardboard and a roll of packing tape.

If you spray the cats a few times with the water bottle as they enter the room, they'll quickly get the message that they're not welcome. Leave the spray bottle near the doorway to reinforce the message.

Secondly, take a piece of tape and make a loop with the sticky side out. Stick one side of the loop to the cardboard, and put the cardboard in the doorway, tape side up. All it will take is one or two experiences with dragging around a piece of cardboard to make your cat realize that s/he wants nothing to do with that part of the house. This method is also very effective to keep cats out of the crib, and off of counters, tables, and other horizontal surfaces.

Personally, I really enjoyed the company of the cats when I was nursing in the middle of the night. They sat on the leg rest and the chair arms, and their purring was very soothing. But I am quite liberal about baby/cat interaction, so a baby with cat hair on him just seems normal to me... :)

twins r fun Guest

Another great cat deterrent is a screaming baby! We have 3 cats, 2 of which are very friendly. One of the cats sleeps with us and I'm always waking up with her on my face or throat. We were really worried about the cats getting in the crib, but it was all for naught. As soon as the babies let out their first howl, the cats decided they really had no reason to interact with them. We also have a baby gate on our nursery door. It wasn't intended to keep the cats out, but it does keep 2 of them out-the other one can jump it.

Nicole

mbutler Guest

The issue with cats and a newborn is not the cat hair. It is actually beneficial for the baby to be exposed to cat hair because it will lessen the chance of future cat allergies.

The issue is with the cat sleeping on the baby and suffocating him/her because the child is too small to push the cat off. I know that our cats love to lie on my chest when I am laying on the couch, etc.

While I think that your solutions are great for training your cat to stay off counters, etc., I would not want to risk my baby's life on it working 100% of the time. A physical barrier that is used consistently is the only true assurance.

I guess I realize that with two cats in the house (one very long-haired cat) that our baby will be exposed to LOTS of cat hair. My concern was I just didn't want the cats sleeping in the crib or on the changing table.

The other big concern I have is that one of our cats is a one year old siamese who beats up our older cat (no matter WHAT we do, it's VERY frustrating!) He's a really sweet cat in general, but he gets super jealous and picks on the older cat non-stop. I worry about him getting jealous and going after the baby because he's jealous.

Tammy,
    Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have two cats. I have always kept the door to the nursery closed because I don't want the crib to get "furry". My cats love to jump in and sleep in it (when DD's not in it). If DD is in the crib sleeping, I have the monitor with me. It's never been an issue. Is there a reason you want the door to the nursery open?

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I was just more thinking that there would be better air-flow and we'd be able to see in if the door wasn't solid. Part of it's probably first time jitters, and wanting to make sure nothing bad happens. Maybe just closing the door is the better solution?

Tammy,
    Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

jojo2324 Guest

We have three cats and they have all slept with us for years. But we moved this spring from our loft/barn style home to one with actual doors and just started closing them. We really wanted to discourage them from coming into the room once the baby was here. And they would land in the crib, no doubt. (Baby is still in our room.) I pulled out a stroller last night and after about three minutes one of them was snuggled up in it. Anyway, since we've kept the door shut, they really don't bother anymore, even when the door is open. Sometimes they sneak in, but usually I catch them in our bed, not the crib. I've heard that they really dislike the sensation of tape against their paws, but have never tried it.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Baby things are really "cat sized" and they love sleeping in them. My cats loved sleeping in the PacknPlay (still do) and, when I used it, the bouncey seat. But the about the funniest thing I have EVER seen in my life was when one of the cats tried to jump into the swing. OH MY GOD, to have had a video camera going at the time, I would have SURELY won the $10,000 on America's Funniest Home videos!!! :)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast