schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Banister to banister baby gate

My little one is getting to the point where he is almost mobile, which means that we'll need to get started on baby proofing soon! I know that gates at the top of the stairs need to be securly attached to something, but all the gates I've seen are strictly for wall-to-wall attachment. I just have banisters at the top of my steps -- no wall to attach a gate to. Does anyone have any suggestions for which gates will attach directly to banisters?

Thanks,

Sarah
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

Default RE: Banister to banister baby gate

We have one of these gates. I'm searching my feeble brain for the name...I think it's by kidco.... I'm almost positive it's by kidco. Try doing a search on babiesrus or babycenter.com.

Sorry I can't think of the name, but one does exist!
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the same problem in my home. I am thinking of getting the Kidco Beechwood Gate - http://www.kidcoinc.com/gates/g31.htm
    Kidco makes an installation kit that allows you to mount their gates to banisters. You need one kit for each side that is not to be mounted to a wall (2 banisters will take 2 kits.) They cost about $10 each. http://www.kidcoinc.com/gates/k10.htm I think the kit will also work with other brands. Please do report back when you decide what to do as I have to put up gates very soon as well!

Good luck!

almaciaszek Guest

Hi,
    I have wrought iron banisters at the top of the stairs, and I recently purchased the Kidco Safeway Gate Model G20 (openings 24.75" to 43.5" wide). KidCo also makes a Gate Installation Kit ($14.95), and both are sold at the Right Start or www.rightstart.com. Since I have wrought iron, I would have needed 4 installation kits (for a total of $60); however, the saleswoman was very helpful and suggested I go to my local Home Depot and purchase all I needed to do it myself. I did purchase one kit to see what exactly I needed, and was able to purchase everything at the Home Depot for under $10. I was able to put it all together in about 15-20 minutes (you'll need a drill & screwdriver). If anyone would like any information about what exactly is contained in the installation kit, I'd be happy to send the list to you, along with instructions (very easy).
    I just installed one of the gates at the bottom of the stairs, and it was pretty easy, and works great so far.

Good Luck!
    Allison
    [email protected]