momtoemma Guest

Default Tot Locks Problem

We've been trying to install some TotLocks on our cabinets today, and the magnet doesn't seem to be strong enough to unlock the cabinet. Our cabinets are far less thick than what the package says the manget will go through, but we aren't having much luck. Has anyone else here had this problem? I bought these for two reasons...1) they got great reviews here and 2)our cabinets don't have knobs or pulls.

Are there any other alternatives for cabinets without knobs or pulls?

Thanks,
    Stephanie

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Tot Locks Problem

There are two things I can think of to try. Be sure you installed the locks EXACTLY as it says on the package. We had trouble with one lock that my DH tried to "freestyle". Also, you might try pushing the cabinet door closed when you use the magnet to unlock it. Some cabinet doors have the little foam things (inside the door corners) to keep them from making a slamming noise, and this can prevent the magnet from unlocking correctly. We actually have removed a bunch of these and the Tot locks work better.

Hope this helps.

Sarah
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

brubeck Guest

Also, when you unlock the door the magnet has to be in EXACTLY the right place. Move the key around slowly in a circle until you hear the click.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We had this problem too and had to remove all the little protector things in order for the Totloks to work. I also have a few cabinets that I need to push in, in order to get the Totlok to work.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)