tilly2321 Guest

Default Help-my landlord won't let me drill and I need gate advice ASAP!

Hi there! I posted earlier about a pressure mounted gate for a six foot wide opening. I have searched and can't find one. I want a gate to separate a room for my toddler, but the room has molding in the doorway and my landlord does not want us to drill into the molding. I don't know what to do at this point. Is there any kind of pressure gate for this wide or can anyone think of anything that might work for a space this wide without drilling into molding?
    TIA!
    eLLE

pritchettzoo Guest

Default RE: Help-my landlord won't let me drill and I need gate advice ASAP!

What about the "Superyard"? I think you can attach two sets together, and that should be huge enough to corral any toddler! I've posted a link to the thing on Amazon.com, but I know they have them at Babies R Us. They probably have them at other places too...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...I3JNKQRLU413VS

HTH,
    Anna
    #1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

I was also thinking about a Superyard or Kid Co. Playden. Also the Configure gate can be mounted onto the wall behind the molding rather than into it if that helps. Also, we presently don't have our Configure Gate mounted to anything and it's been fine.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

tilly2321 Guest

Mommy to Justin,
    Thanks for your input. Can you send me a pic of your gate freestanding or explain it to me a little bit more clearly? I can't picture it, but my brain is on slow mode due to our move. I think this sounds like a good option. Thanks!
    Elaine

Let me see if I can describe it more clearly. We have the Configure Gate with 2 extensions. The Configure Gate is designed so that at each joint, you can adjust the gate at 10 degree angles. The opening where I am using the gate is about 9 feet. The basic Configure Gate is just over 6 feet. Each extension is 2 feet. So, I have 10 feet of gate in a space that is 9 feet. In my setup, I have the basic Configure Gate in the middle of the opening. It is straight. Then, I have one extension on each end. Each extension is then bent in a 45 degree angle to provide stability to the gate.

If you private message me with your e-mail address, I can e-mail you a photo.

Of course this is not how Kid Co. recommends to use this gate and if DS ever shows the ability to move the gate or pull it over, we will fasten it to the wall. We sort of wound up with this setup by accident. DH and I couldn't agree on how to arrange the gate. He had an asymetrical thing going that was driving me crazy looking at it. So I made it symetrical and then realized it stood on its own that way. We watched DS with it for a couple of days and he didn't knock it over or anything and it's been this way ever since. We use it in a room he is in with an adult all the time. I would not use this setup at the base of the stairs--I would attach it to something. If you do need to attach it, with the Configure Gate you don't have to attach the gate to 2 walls directly across from one another. Instead of drilling into the molding, you can attach it to the room walls, just inside the doorway (if I'm imagining your home correctly). Also, if you do mount this gate, you don't have to drill into the baseboard because the entire mounting mechanism mounts on the wall itself, above the baseboard.

I hope that description helps you visualize it better.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

lanwenick Guest

I just wanted to thank you, Mommy to Justin, for describing that setup of the Configure Gate. I was hesitating on putting out all that money for the gate when I wasn't sure whether I could get it to look right with my strange wall angles. It makes me feel SO much better hearing that I can use it for a little while without drilling -- I can test it out and see if I like the configuration before I make it permanent! Your post was so helpful to me. Thanks.