deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Mounting stair gate to round bannister?

DS is getting close to crawling and I am attempting to mount a gate at the bottom of the stairs. One side is a nice flat wall, no problem!

The catch is that the only thing to attach to on the other side of the stairs is a totally round bannister. My neighbor attempted to strap a block to his and mount to that, but it was totally NOT safe. Any thoughts would help.

Thanks,
    Doug

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Mounting stair gate to round bannister?

You can screw a block to the bannister, which would be much safer than strapping it.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

KUvsOU Guest

What I am going to suggest can get a little expensive. However, this has worked for us. My son has tried everything and has not managed to move he gate even an inch.

We use a pressure mounted gate from Kidco called the Center Gateway (approximately $85). BRU, One Step Ahead and other sell this gate. There are also extensions for this gate if you need them and as I recall they can run $25. We have banisters on both sides at the bottom of our stairs. At the top it is round and then at the bottom it is flat. We use the pressure mounted part at the bottom and then bought a spindle kit to use at the top. I covered our spindle kit with a felt pad so it would not scratch up the banister. On One Step Ahead's webiste, www.onestepahead.com, they sell the spindle kit for $9.95.

For us, this seemed like a big investment in a gate, but it has been very effective for us and the only option that worked for us.

Hopeful, I have not made this too confusing and this helps!:)

Shawna
    Mom to Cade 6/16/02

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

You've probably already found a solution to this, since it's been a while since your post, but I thought I'd post a link to what I found while looking for baby gate for the top of our stairs (which has posts on both sides :( ). They're a bit spendy (especially if you need two kits like us!), but they look like they'll work. They sell kits for both square and round banister posts.

http://www.babygates.com/WebComponen...=Childproofing

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03