Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    KimberleyDawn Guest

Default How do we protect our Christmas tree from a curious 9 month old?

What is everyone else doing to keep Christmas safe but still beautiful?
    Advice, suggestions, comments (lol)....
    Kim

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: How do we protect our Christmas tree from a curious 9 month old?

Well, this is our first year having to worry about this, too, but we plan to put the tree up in our living room (which is limited, supervised access for Colin) and not put any breakable ornaments on the tree. Or at least no ornaments that could shatter/break into sharp pieces.

Another option is to put a playyard around the tree, but to me, that ruins the look. You could also anchor the tree to the ceiling and the wall(s) so that it can't fall down.

There have been several discussions about this on the Lounge - you might want to check them out!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS IDEA!!!!

I have to preface this with that I love design...I love interior design...that I am obsessed with colors, decorating, collecting etc...

I feel like I have to put that out there or you'll laugh in my face or think I'm on drugs...and I cringe to share this but I swear it looks awesome...and I have a little proof!!!!

Two years ago I walked into a trendy boutique and they had a massive fake evergreen hanging from the ceiling!!!!! It was bushy up top and thin towards the bottom, heavily decorated with ornaments that showed up even better since the way they were hung...
    I spent the whole next year imagining that "look" and wondering how the owner of the boutique got that look, I remembered her saying jokingly "I'm up for selling it" (even though the look made the store)...

So last year I went in to inquire...it was hung up again...I studied it and I swear it was a fake Christmas Tree hanging upside down from the ceiling!!!! Where the trunk was was a HUGE bow and then at the tip (bottom) was another pretty bow cascading...it honest to god was the prettiest Christmas decor I have ever seen!!!!

So this year...it's back up and I love it so
    BUT EVEN BIGGER NEWS...last months SOUTHERN LIVING magazine had a couple's (older couple with tons of granchildren)house featured. It appeard to be a mansion with the greatest decor...and that gal hung her tree from the ceiling!!!!! Now her tree was not upside down...but it was clearly hung from the ceiling and they even made note of it!!!!

We have minimal ornaments, but those I have are pretty expensive and I am going to start doing this I think...

Default RE: YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS IDEA!!!!

That certainly sounds interesting. Lately, my magazines are stacking up and collecting dust since I haven't had time to look at them. I am trying to decide how I want to decorate this year since DD is starting to get into things.
    This may sound stupid but how exactly do you hang it upside down from the ceiling? Do you just use a couple of those big hooks and screw them into your ceiling? It looks like that would leave holes in the plaster/sheet rock or whatever when you are finished.
    Please let us know how to do it. I am seriously interested-it would definitely elicit some interesting comments from family and friends, not to mention how practical it actually would be.

Lisa
    Mom to Allie Nicole
    3-10-03

KimberleyDawn Guest

I tried going to Southern Living's website for a picture of this *hanging tree* but I can't figure out which article it is. Are you able to post a link?
    Kim

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

I'm going ot try to get tot he boutique and get a picutre of the upside down one, she has it over a table and I swear it is stunning!!!

The one in Southern Living is also gorgeous but I can't say it looks better than the upside down one-I really like the upside down one!!!
    But I jsut went thru Southern Living and will try to see if it is on the web.
    The issue is the November one with a roast beef dish on the front and a cheesecake of sorts on the front cover.
    ******I think southern Living has differnt formats for where in the States you live-I'm not certain but I think they do!!!!************
    BUT this article is on page 162 of mine, and the tree is in the picutre, the article is titled "FAMILY CHRISTMAS IN NEW ORLEANS"...I really imagine presents under it looking so pretty.

I think they hang them with those thick white hooks...I know last year the thought of it had me worry about the hook in the ceiling, but for some reason this year I feel like if I painted the hook it might go unnoticed-I do wonder if you could just "putty" it every year, but that might wear down the "hold"...if you could that would take seconds. My ceilings are two stories high so the hook would not be as obvious for me, and this house in the picutre also has high ceilings...

I can't find it on the web...I do have the new copy of SL for December but I get it via the mail...check stores for the November issue...or the library if we can't find it!!!
    Neve
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My mom actually does something similar over our dining room table. There used to be two lights that she has removed and now hangs the top portions (about 18-24") of two fake x-mas trees there. As I recall she only puts small white lights on them (which she connects to the old light-fixture wires) and then dangles something from the top (which is actually the bottom since its hanging upside down). Anyway, it looks so great and so many people compliment her on them. She hasn't yet done this with the big tree, but if she sees that Southern Living magazine, she just might--she'll try anything. Last year it was a bird-themed tree w/birds (not real), nests and a long, white feather boa strung throughout! I poo-pood it, sight unseen, but once I saw it, I thought it looked really special. Anyway, sort of off topic from the original post, my apologies. :)
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

I'd love to see pics!!!
    I hope I didn't "rail road" us to "off topic" I actually posted the tree from the ceiling thinking it was a 'safe" and "baby proof" idea to handle the tree :)...so I thought we were "on topic"...:)

Neve
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

KimberleyDawn Guest

Neve,
    We're a little off topic but this is interesting so it's okay ;).
    Kim

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Neve,
    If you get a pic of the tree...either from the store or the mag, I would LOVE to see it. I can't visualize it well, but the concept sounds good! Now you have me thinking. Do you need high ceilings though....I am not sure how a tree would fit in our house that way unless it was a mini one. Hmmmm.

Jera
    Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast