Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tomz Guest

Default How about this for a fireplace?

Anyone try this with their fireplace? I hear alot about the Kidco HearthGate but this is cheaper and looks like it could work.

Anyone try this out yet?

http://baby-safety-products.babycata...e-guard-146007

Thanks

T

Default RE: How about this for a fireplace?

I've been wondering the same thing.

Any feedback would be great!

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

I've decided to go ahead and order this, because it looks smaller than then the Hearthgate and won't take up as much of my small living room. I'll post a review as soon as I get it!

Sonia

mharling Guest

Sonia -
    What do you think about this?

Also, what is your fireplace like? On ours, the fireplace itself is near the ground and there's just a piece of marble between it and the floor. I wondered if we could even just get by with something to keep the glass doors closed and keep the tools in the garage. We don't have a lot of fires so I think the nuisance would be minimal. What do you think?

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

i wanna say there was something like this in the plow and hearth catalog (that keeps the doors closed). tossed it though, so can't be sure.
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

Default RE: My review!!

Overall, I'm satisfied by this product. The hearthgate would just take up too much living room space, this is more compact. We only have a screen on our gas fireplace so we needed a gate, but I think even if I had doors, I'd still get a gate because the glass doors can heat up quickly.

This is very easy to assemble, you just fold it out and screw the pieces together. You will have to buy eyehooks to attach it to the wall, if you'd like it to be attached. Ours isn't right now and it works fine.

The only problem with this is that it is kind of difficult to lift up the top panels as it was advertised. The doors clip in and its hard to declip it. However I think you could get away with not clipping it together and just letting it rest.

The gate can get a little hot, in which you have to turn the fire down (we usually have it at the highest). I'm trying to teach Martie to not touch the gate in general just in case though.

If you have a smaller living room space I would recommend this.

Sonia

cara1 Guest

Default Fireplace Safety

I also don't want to block off the entire firplace, I just want to prevent DS from opening the sliding glass doors. Anyone try this? http://www.totsafe.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2135
    Here it is again a bit cheaper:
    http://www.kidsurplus.com/bdi700.html

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Fireplace Safety

I just wanted to make sure you don't plan on lighting a fire in it. Another mom here had her baby's hands burned by touching the glass for just a second (before she was pulled away). I think they thought the glass didn't get THAT hot.

Sorry I can't help with the product, though. We've got the big hearth gate and love it. We were worried about Ds falling against the bricks, so we opted for the big one.

Melanie makes an excellent point. I thought I said something about that earlier, but I didn't. My nephew also burned his hands on a gas fireplace that was surrounded by glass.

Sonia

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Mary, we have a fire place like yours. The baby proofer is coming out in a few weeks to do our stairs and he had an idea about our fireplace. I will post it if we decide to use it and it works for us. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast