Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    cara1 Guest

Default RE: Fireplace Safety

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that, but no, we weren't planning on making a fire. Something about DH insisting he doesn't want to add to the air pollution... :)

Default RE: How about this for a fireplace?

I just got one--delivered yesterday. I'm really happy with it. It does the job without being too big (I have a very small living room) or ugly (although, as one friend put it, it looks like the fireplace is in a cage). I would recommend it.

Sheila
    Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have been searching for a fireplace screen and was interested in this one, unfortunately the link the the OP posted is now dead. Does anyone know where I could find one of these? I did a google on "heritage fire guard" and got several results back, but none of them were good. Like the others here posted, my living room is small so the kidco gate would take up too much space. We have a gas fireplace with a glass front and we never burn it any more for fear of ds burning himself on it. I would like to use it this winter but unless I find something to put over it so I can at least keep ds from touching the glass, I guess we'll just have to keep it turned off until he's old enough to be trusted not to touch it when it's hot.

TIA,
    Cheryl

CiderLogan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The link didn't work for me, but I just wanted to say that we got glass doors for our fireplace and use a cabinet lock on the handles to keep DD out. For the hearth (is that the brick or stone part on the floor?) we made a structure out of wood that's the same size as the hearth and covered it with foam and then with fabric (stuck into the wood using a staple gun), and we just remove the fabric/wood cover and open the doors whenever we light a fire (which is rare because it can only be at night after DD is asleep!).

Jenny
    Mom of Julia, 8/03

iamginaw Guest

I found it! Go here: http://www.babypro.com/specialty.html and check the bottom of the page. HTH!

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

The link did work for me - Thanks! That page shows a menu at the bottom, when you click on fireplace safety it should take you here: http://www.babypro.com/specialty.html#Fireplace

I think this would work for me but they show two pictures - one has a curved top and one has a flat top (the pp who said the fireplace looks like it's in a cage is right, LOL). The price list really doesn't offer a very good description. Is the top picture "Bronze" finish (it looks black to me, but the pic isn't the highest quality) and the bottom one with the curved top is obviously black. I wonder why black is more expensive also. Hmmm. I guess I will have to contact the company to get clarification on that.

Anyway, thanks again. I googled all over and couldn't find this thing! :-)

rfeibelm Guest

I would love some info from someone who has used this product or this company. I am trying to babyproof my fireplace now (I have a gas fireplace with only a screen and a 1/2" marble hearth), so I think this product would be a good option for me. And I'm just outside of Atlanta too!

Jennamax Guest

We have a fireplace with glass doors, so we just put a door lock on them. We rarely use the fireplace, so safety with a fire burning wasn't our issue. Our problem was that once DS learned how to crawl he was forever trying to open the doors and stick his hands in the fireplace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2