deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default A word about Safety 1st products

I read bad reviews of Safety 1st products all the time on the internet (see Amazon.com for some examples). Today I went to a store that specializes in baby proofing. There were a handful of Safety 1st products and DH said to the lady that he heard their products didn't work well (to which I spun my head around in amazement - apparently he actually researched something) and the woman agreed and said she carried a few of their products that she feels work well, but not the others. She said she sees to president of the company every year at the trade show and passes on people's complaints about his products and that he doesn't seem to care. Just says, thanks for letting me know. I think they make plenty of money selling to unsuspecting people who don't know their products don't work very well.

Anyway, just thought I'd share...
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: A word about Safety 1st products

Thanks for the heads up. We have purchased a few Safety first products at Home Depot but we are going to purchase most of the items from our baby proofer.....

I don't think he uses any Safety first products...he does order from Safe Begginings.....

I have a TON of Safety First stuff that I bought for the condo, but can't figure out which box I packed it in. Fortunately, I can just take it back for credit.

So if it's so bad, what brand are you supposed to use?

We're kicking around the idea of using a babyproofer, but are thinking they are nothing but opportunists.

Ideas please?

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I bought some stuff yesterday, but can't testify to how good it is yet. I went to a store called Safer Baby in Studio City. I got some really cushiony corner protectors for a shelf we have, would work on a square or rectangular table as well. In the Baby Bargains Book there is mention of these corners being plastic and not very much softer than the table or shelf you are covering, but the ones I got are "The Kids Edge" by Child Safety Products Inc. in Gainesville GA and they seem very good. I banged my knee against the corners to see if it hurt and it didn't really.

Got some toilet locks by Mommy;s Helper that stay on the toilet very well but don't require any sticky tape or tools to attach. i think Tot Lok and Kidco are supposed to be good brands.

I think some of the Safety 1st products are OK, I've heard their cabinet latches are not so good.

Wish I could be more help, but I am just getting started on this myself!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Hmmm.. I live in Gainesville GA and this is the first I've heard of this company. I will give them a call and see what else they have to offer.

Beth
    mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)