Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Litter box solutions?

I'm curious what people's litter box solutions have been? I cannot install a cat door anywhere as we rent so that is out. The door to the bathroom that the cat box is in is barely 24" wide, only gate that will work is accordian style, which would be hard for the cats to jump over. There's a spot in the hallway outside the bathroom where I can install a gate, it's about 46" wide. I'm worried my cats may be too old and fat to jump the gate. One is 20 pounds and 11 years old!!!

Edited for bad spelling...
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

hobey Guest

Default RE: Litter box solutions?

What about installing the gate with an opening at the bottom? Big enough for the kitties to scoot under but too small for Kai.
    HTH
    Raquel
    Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have one gate downstairs (pressure mounted) that is raised a few inches off the ground so that Murray can slide underneath. And for his litter box room (also a bathroom), we use the First Years hands free gate. DH removed one of the side bars so that Murray could slide through (he wouldn't go through otherwise), but it still is a small enough opening that Colin can't get through at all.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Q Guest

I have two suggestions. A girlfriend of mine put a eye + hook latch at the top of her door that keeps to door ajar just enough for the cat to squeze through. My husband and I consulted a babyproofing company and he suggested a thing that goes on the bottom of the door and holds it open enough for the cat. To open the door further a full sized adult has to step on it to unlock it. He's coming to install one next week with a few other items. I will ask him what it's called for you and then post it if you like.

Q Guest

That gadget is called a door positioner and it works great!

aguinn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

hi
    you could replace the door with one you buy, and then cut a hole in the bottom corner big enough for the kitties to get in and out, but too small for little ones. or install a cat door in it. and then when you move just put the original door back on.

hth!
    ;)amy
    proud momma to a

jinboston Guest

We installed a 4" hook & eye on our basement door that allows the cats to go in/out and keeps the baby from opening the door. Works perfectly.

DDowning is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OOh, I like the latch solution mentioned. That sounds like it will work.

We had a problem about 2 years ago with our little doxies going into the litter box which was in the laundry room and, umm, snacking (I know its gross, sorry if TMI). What worked for us was for DH to build a platform built on stilts to keep the box out of their reach. The box sits on the platform and theres an extended part so that he has a landing before he goes in the box. Yes, the cat now has to jump 2 feet up but he doesn't have a problem with it - and he's 23 lbs! It works great, and we never have to worry about pilfering again.
    Deidra

Mommy to
    DS (2003)
    DD (2005)
    Kelly's Kids Consultant

I had to put my dog's food in the spare bathtub... Kayla can't crawl in the tub...yet. ;)

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    May '03

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll think about this one! But one of my cats weighs as much as DS (20 lbs) He can barely jump up to the counter to get his food! He might need more then 4" to squeeze through... Although I did just change his food to something he doesn't seem to like much, so maybe he'll lose some weight! I swear he weighed 16 lbs before we had DS, I don't know what the heck happened to him...
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast