Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    apfb Guest

Default RE: Litter box solutions?

We have visually separated the litter box (a covered Buddhabox) from the rest of the room with cardboard boxes barricading two sides of the litter box. The litter box sits on the floor against a wall, and only the opening doesn't have a barricade.

We have also visually separated the cats' water and food dishes by putting the dishes on the base shelf of an old TV stand. The base shelf is 4-5" off the ground, and it provides an ergonomic feeding position for the cats.

1st time mom to Maya the Mighty b. 3/2003

bethwl Guest

In a magazine, I saw a litter box that was basically a rectangular box with a lid and a hole in the lid. The cat has to kind of learn a new way to use the box (by jumping on the lid and down through the hole), so I guess you'd have to judge whether that would work for your cat. But kids can't crawl up to it and stick hands inside. If I can find the name of it, I'll let you know.

--Beth

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've seen that box, but can't find a picture online right now. A crawler couldn't get their hands in it, but a cruiser or a walker could, so I wouldn't go with this option and leave it out where a mobile baby can get to it.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

christic Guest

I like these...

http://www.catsplay.com/fatlitter_basic.php3

expensive though! you could put a child-proof catch on the lid too. I've had my eye on them for a while but never placed an order. Some of the other furniture options are a hoot if you look at the whole website!

bethwl Guest

http://www.clevercatinnovations.com/...rbox_about.cfm

Here's the url for that box I mentioned. However, I've never seen it in person and Lori makes a good point about a walking toddler still being able to get to it. But here's the info for what it's worth.

Beth
    --Annika 8/9/03

Thanks for the slew of infos! My dh mentioned about the door stopper, but I am more confident that a safety person recommended it. Maybe for added safety measure I will buy the 4" hook & eye for our basement door.

Thank again!
    Megulis
    Mother of 2 boys & girl, 9/03, 1/06, & 8/08

tori is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Lori,
    How did your husband remove one of the bars (it's made of iron right?) on the gate? Did he saw it off? I have the same gate blocking of the litterbox from the rest of my house.My cat is big and weighs 15 pounds do you think she will be able to fit through ?

I thought about buying a plastic pressure mounted gate and then cutting a hole in it for my cat, except the litterbox is in my laundry area and I don't want to have to move the gate every time I need to do laundry.

Thanks,
    Victoria

tori is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Deirdra,

It sounds like we have the same set up in our houses big cats and litterboxes located in our laundry rooms (mine has no door. That was an excellent solution to build a platform. I don't think we will be able to build the platform so we have to find another solution. I may just have to get a plastic gate and cut a hole throught it, and remove it every time I do laundry. Any suggestions ?

Victoria

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yep, DH sawed it out! Murray is about 11lbs and fits through fine, but whether your cat will fit depends on the size of the door opening, since the width of the space is somewhat dependent on that (DH sawed off the bar closest to the latch, on the outside of the gate).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2