Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mamarazzo Guest

Default A bit stumped - anyone have a gate solution for this setup?

Hi all,

We have a house that's not all that baby-friendly, with step-down rooms and banisters galore.

One area that has me a bit perplexed is the opening to the den, shown below (that's a temporary gate at the bottom). There are two steps with a post on each side. A gate suspended between the posts would leave a big gap underneath. Same problem with a gate between the posts and resting on the carpeted step - still a gap between gate and edge of top step big enough for little feet to slip into and trip.

http://olivermk.home.comcast.net/images/176_7695b.jpg

http://olivermk.home.comcast.net/images/177_7701b.jpg

Our temporary solution is a Kidco ConfigureGate resting on the floor at the bottom (attached to a HearthGate on one end). And of course the little guy puts his feet through the bars and steps up onto the step right behind it. We could probably move it further away from the step, but it's still at the bottom of the steps, which isn't so good coming from the other direction.

I've been trying to figure out the best solution, gate at top, middle or bottom? Top seems safer than bottom (does that seem right?), and I can't figure out a middle solution. And of course both top and bottom would be pretty silly with two steps. So far I'm thinking about putting the ConfigureGate on the upper floor to block the whole step area, but I'm wondering if anyone here might have other good ideas. BTW, he spends most of this time in the lower den, which is why we currently have the gate blocking from that direction.

Any input would be much appreciated!

TIA,
    MR

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: A bit stumped - anyone have a gate solution for this setup?

Sorry I can't think of any ideas, but try emailing your pictures to the people at www.babygates.com. They may be able to give you an idea or two. They seemed to have the best selection of gates to fit odd places when I was looking for something to work on my problem areas.

HTH,
    Jennifer
    Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

mamarazzo Guest

Thanks Jennifer, I'll check them out!

MR

vikivoly Guest

This might work for a gate at the top. I couldn't describe it without a picture, so I've taken your picture and modified it.

Mount thick boards (or nail several together to form a thick board) on the back side of the banisters until it is even with the first step. (Red part on my picture). Attach the gate to the boards. (black part)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7057.jpg

If you don't want to put holes in your banister, try something like this. DH bought the supplies at Home Depot for about $5 and made it himself.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7056.jpg

mamarazzo Guest

Thanks for the info, and for going through the trouble to illustrate it! That does seem like a good way to go, and seems better than surrounding more of the upper area with a larger gate. DH actually suggested something similar not too long ago, and now that I think about it, he was probably on to something. :-)

I'm also waiting to hear back from the babygates guy, who said he had an idea, maybe something like this as well.

Thanks!

MR

vikivoly Guest

I'm glad I could help. I guess my anal-retentiveness really shined through on this one. :)

I'm no carpenter, so I don't know if it would work or not, but something for you to consider.

Let me know what you hear from the babygates guy. We have a very similar setup at the top of our stairs, so we've been stumped as well.

mamarazzo Guest

OK, I talked to him on the phone yesterday and his suggestion was a ConfigureGate at top or bottom (gate in the center, extensions angled away from the steps, kinda like this: \_/). The same idea we came up with. And for protection from both directions put one at both top and bottom. Well, 2 gates for 2 steps seems a bit much to me (and those ConfigureGates aren't cheap!), so it would be a matter of deciding between top or bottom.

But I'm liking Vicki's idea, and a trip to Home Depot might be in order.

I'm THIS close to just forgetting the gate and putting in a ramp. ;-)

MR

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Your suggestion of a ramp reminded me of an idea my DH had wanted to try on our stairs. It wouldn't have been fesible on our full stair case, but it might actually work on yours.

Instead of a ramp, you could build a box to fit the stair space and attach it in the white area at the back or side of the stairs (don't want to damage those nice hardwood floors! ;) ). That way, it would level out the area to the same height as the top floor, and you could just install one gate between the banisters.

Of course, I can't tell from your photos how big of a drop that would make for the adults needing to step down from one level to the next...but, if it's a manageable height, it might be a good solution?

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7178.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7179.jpg

HTH,
    Jennifer
    Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

mamarazzo Guest

Thanks Jennifer - believe it or not we did consider something like this. It has the added advantage of eliminating the lethal pointy corners by the posts. For most of us it wouldn't be too tall of a drop, but we realized other visitors like grandparents and elderly aunts might have a harder time with it. If it were a lesser used area, maybe, but it's the main social spot in the house. Figures! Oh well.

MR

Edited to add: I just realized rather than leaving the big drop, we could add a step there (another box, basically). Worth the effort? Hmm...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast