Abbey Guest

Default Silly question about how you put your baby to sleep safely in crib...

Hi! My 4 month old son has recently gotten a little bit mobile... I will lay him in his crib one direction, I come back and he is completely turned around the other direction. The problem is that I still put him in a 'wedgie' to sleep to keep him from flopping over on his tummy (He can't roll over yet). I use a light weight blanket and tuck it in tight under him and the wedgie. Lately, it's been coming completely out since he is so wiggly.

How do you lay your child down to sleep and cover them up if they still can't roll over???
    Thanks- I know this sounds silly but I don't like taking any chances.

Abbey
    Mom to Mason 2/25/04

amp Guest

Default RE: Silly question about how you put your baby to sleep safely in crib...

Well, technically, you aren't supposed to use any of these things in the crib. That said, we did use a light blanket with our son, mostly since he was born, and never had a problem with it. We never used any wedgies or sleep positioners. Once he was able to flip over on his own, we let him. They are in somewhat less danger once they have that kind of control, as long as they can't get buried in something heavy where they couldn't breath. And my DS did move all around the crib. We didn't have any pillows, bumpers, toys, etc, so we didn't worry too much.

Abbey Guest

Default RE: Silly question about how you put your baby to sleep safely in crib...

I was told just the opposite- I was supposed to use a wedgie or sleep positioner until he can roll over independently and I sure want to use a blanket to keep him comfortably warm... I have never heard "not to use any of those in a crib". I have the breathable bumper so I am not worried about him scooting up to the bumper.
    How did you keep the blanket from getting up around his face?
    Abbey

amp Guest

"How do you keep the blanket from getting up around his face?"

It just never did. We always kept it below his waist, and he always creeped away from it. And it was never heavier than a receiving blanket or lightweight thermal blanket.

And regarding the sleep positioner, the Fields refer to these in the BBB. In my copy (4th edition) it is discussed on page 73.

I tuck the blanket sides and bottom end in so it is not loose and DD cannot grab it and throw it over her face. I've never used a sleep positioner though.

HTH
    Ana

Abbey Guest

I was told to use a sleep positioner for several reasons.
    1. To avoid the baby choking on his/ her own spit up if the head was face up.
    2. To avoid "flat head" in the back if they routinely slept with their head straight up.
    3. To keep them from rolling on their tummy and getting stuck face down.

I guess 'not' using one is news to me.
    Anyone out there who DOES use one that can help me??
    Thanks
    Abbey

Before using a sleep positioner with DS, I had read that the SIDS alliance did not recommend using one but decided to use one with DS anyways. (BTW, they also say that back sleeping is safer than side sleeping, but we used a side-sleep positioner anyways too.) In case you're interested, here's one site that refers to the potential danger of sleep positioners: http://www.kidsindanger.org/04v1/pro...eeppostion.asp

We were happy that we used the positioner with DS in the beginning couple of months because it seemed to help him sleep better being tucked comfortably in a sleeping position like that and also kept him from developing a flat head. (Also, DS refused to be swaddled from day one, so the positioner was especially helpful.) However, once he started wiggling around more, we stopped using the positioner so it would not pose a suffocation hazard (by him squirming out of it and then putting his nose into the foam). Once we stopped using the positioner, we started laying DS on his back in the crib.

Like a previous poster said, we also let DS sleep on his tummy once he started being able to roll onto it by himself. Initially, we tried to roll him back onto his back but he would immediately roll onto his tummy again. Personally, we didn't worry about flat head (we did continue varying the direction we laid him down in the crib) with him sleeping on his back for those couple of months between when we stopped using the positioner and when he started sleeping on his tummy. We also never had any scare with him choking on his spit-up.

To answer your blanket question, we never did put a blanket in his crib until he was close to a year old. We found it worked fine to just dress him warmly enough that a blanket wasn't needed and to use a Halo fleece sleep sack (we loved that thing!) during the cold winter months. I know that they also make a cotton one for the warmer months, so perhaps that would be one idea. Even when DS was old enough to stand up in his crib and crawl around, he still was perfectly happy having a sleep sack put on him at night. Babycenter.com and target.com are good places to find larger-sized Halo sleep sacks.

HTH! :)

Edited to add that another thing that helps DS sleep well and stay warm is using a a sheet from Fleece Baby (http://store.babycenter.com/product/...b_bedding/7016). I wish I had my own fleece sheet!

mamarazzo Guest

I hate this about being a new parent. There's just so much conflicting opinion out there. With this issue the only thing that seems to have been established so far with statistics to back it up is that placing them to sleep on their backs removes one of the risk factors of SIDS. Everything else is open for debate, and we can only try to educate ourselves and ultimately go with our gut.

In our case the ped told us that the guideline calls for no soft objects in the crib, which by definition included sleep positioners. I hadn't planned to use one anyway, so I didn't give it a thought. I guess it's just another one of those "choose your risk factor" things.

We swaddled our son for about the first 3.5 months, then dressed him in warm footed sleepers. We also tried the Halo sleepsack, and he did OK with it. And like others here, as soon as he was able to roll onto his tummy, he has slept that way.

He's a very active sleeper, so we haven't even attempted a blanket yet. But there is a technique recommended for using one, from the AAP/CPSC: "If using a blanket, put baby with feet at the foot of the crib. Tuck a thin blanket around the crib mattress, reaching only as far [up] as the baby's chest." So maybe both baby and wedgie could be under the blanket, which is tucked around the mattress?

Another product that sounds similar to the Fleece Baby sheet is the Bunny Belly crib sheet from Lands' End. I haven't tried it, but I have the Bunny Belly blanket, which is *incredibly* soft, even after a multitude of washings. http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0...69479363130030

MR

Abbey Guest

Thanks to all for the help.. I decided today that I will not use the positioner anymore after putting my son in the crib one direction and coming back to find him with his head at the opposite end! I bought some warmer sleepwear so that should help.
    Thanks again!

Imperia Guest

My peditrician said not to use wedges because they are unsafe. They can actually prevent a child from moving IF they need to which is not a good idea. Also, there is the chance that once the baby begins to be able to turn over the positioner will get in the way of it's face etc. As for keeping the baby warm is it possible to just dress the baby more snugly? I know we get teh idea that babies need blankets and all that but they really don't if they are properly clothes, especially in the summer months.