Default How do I cover outlets with blank plates?

Please fogive me if this is a silly question..

I went to Home Depot with the intention of buying blank plates. The only ones I could find have two screws, one on the top and bottom. All of my electrical outlets have a single screw in the middle. I was in a hurry and couldn't find anyone to ask..

Any tips?

TIA!

DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Default RE: How do I cover outlets with blank plates?

Anyone?
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I'm not sure what you mean by blank plates...but they sell a safety plate that has the plug holes turned so that you have to put the plug into the holes and then turn it in order to get it to go in. These come for both one screwhole and two hole plates.

Hope that helps.

Tracy

eddav Guest

Angie,

Note: I am not an electrician. Use these instructions at your own risk.

Blank plates are only made with 2 screw holes. To use these to cover your outlets, you must remove the top and bottom screws that hold the outlet in place. Turn the power off when doing this!

There will probably be a small plastic or cardboard screw retainer that will prevent the screw from coming out of the outlet completely. You can easily remove this retainer and remove the screws.

Use the screws that came with the blank plate. Put them through the plate and through the holes in the outlet where you removed the other screws. Reinstall the outlet and plate in one step. Be sure not to overtighten the screws as you may crack the plate.

I hope this helps as the blank plates are much cheaper (under 50 cents) than the safety plates that allow you to plug things in.

Ed

Thanks Ed! That's my project for the weekend. If I want to turn off power I just flip the circuit breaker, right?
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade