Default Kid proofing a free standing heater/stove?

We have this free standing gas "stove" in our family room. The woman from whom we bought the house put the family room in as an addition. It doesn't have heat so she put this gas "stove" in one corner. It operates on a thermostat from the wall.

Anyhoo, it's just in the corner on a granite/stone base. What would you use to keep a curious 22-month old from sticking her fingers in it when it's on? We haven't had to turn it on yet but it's getting chilly here in Chicago!!!!! Thanks for any help! ;)

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Kid proofing a free standing heater/stove?

It's not the best looking thing, but you might want to take a look at the Superyard XT. Here is a link to it from Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/5zprv

We actually use it for a birdcage we have in our living room. It's a significant birdcage (larger than a refrigerator) for our parrot. We didn't want DD playing with it for various reasons: the bottom is dirty and we didn't want her to lose a finger if she stuck it in the cage! We use it almost like a screen around the cage and b/c it bends around, it stands on its own.
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

pittsburghgirl Guest

Default RE: Kid proofing a free standing heater/stove?

If you want something more sturdy/"permanent" and wall mounted you could consider a Kidco Hearth Gate. We just bought one from babycatalog for $159, shipping was free for us in PA. We will use it with our fireplace but I'm sure it could be adapted to a corner. We went with this option because DH loves to have fires in the winter and this way we can keep the tools and wood holder in place. Not sure how it will look in the summer, but the fireplace was #1 priority when we bought the house so I guess I will deal.

Otherwise if you think the superyard will do it, that's a lot cheaper!

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png