robmab719 Guest

Default Has anyone used the Clear Banister Guard Kit from OSA?

I'm thinking of ordering this for our upstairs loft (which will be DD's play area). I like the fact that it won't show from downstairs.

It comes in 5' and 15' lengths, but it doesn't say if you can trim it to size. Anyone know?

Here's the link:
    http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...31755/117.html

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Has anyone used the Clear Banister Guard Kit from OSA?

This is hugely overpriced. You can go to Home Depot or Menards and buy a sheet of Plexiglass, drill a few holes, and use plastic cable ties to attach the Plexiglass to your railings.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

robmab719 Guest

You know, I wondered if that was all that was! Thanks for the tip!

Ditto to what Lori said. She gave us that advice for ours and it looks awesome! Everyone that sees it says they have never seen anything so nice since you can still see the banister perfectly. DH put eyelet/grommets where he drilled the holes to reinforce it and then used clear cable ties so it is very discreet looking.

Mom to R and R

Do you think that plexiglass would be safe outside as well? We have a deck off our master bedroom. I was going to buy a Railnet from Safety First but it just doesn't look sturdy to me. Will plexiglass deteriorate outside?
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't.
    Single mom to

DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Okay, I'm confused. I have also been looking at banister guards for our upstairs landing, and didn't want to order a kit online if we could do it cheaper ourselves. Read the tip about buying your own plexiglass on these boards and sent DH out to find some of that or some heavy flexible poly. Lowe's and Home Depot both said they had no such thing, so he tried our local building supply. They said sure, but wanted to charge him $60 for a sheet of plexiglass measuring approximately 7' X 3". It's rigid but not super-thick. Lori and all, what are we doing wrong? Any advice is appreciated -

Sam (mom to Stewart 8-15-03)

I'm not sure. DH bought the supplies over a year ago, and I know that they weren't that expensive. You don't really need plexiglass, just some sturdy plastic. It doesn't even have to be rigid, just sturdy.
    Single mom to

DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am also confused as to why the OSA is considered expensive, we priced out the least expensive plastic (just the plastic not the ties) and for 7 feet it was 41.00 at Lowes (vs. 39.95 for 15 feet with the ties and a puncher at OSA)- and I need 9 feet. Wondering if I'm looking at the wrong store or what- and I guess wondering if the OSA one can be cut?

TIA for any help!

Beth

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: OSA banister guard installed and looks great

I ordered it and it arrived very quickly (3 Days) for standard shipping). My father in law installed it, and it took about an hour, our banister is old with spindles that stick out so the plastic doesn't lie completely flat but doesn't look too obtrusive. We used a very small drill to make the holes to attach it, the hole punch makes very big holes and the drill holes made the fit more snug. It would be helpful to have at least two people to install, our only difficulty was sucuring to the wall but luckily FIL is very talented!

We were not able to find anything like the plastic in the stores. I'm also happy that it is quite high and the edges are not sharp at the top.

Good luck

Beth