Default 5 year old gates ... safe?

My sister is looking to pass on her five year old gates. She thinks they are the Kidco Safeway gates.

I am definitely going to check in with the manufacturer as well, but just thought I would ask preliminary questions about that. Has anyone used used gates? Would you do so again?

Thanks.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: 5 year old gates ... safe?

We bought that gate. It was rather spendy. I'd have taken a 5 year old gate off my sister's hands. Ours is metal. I could see maybe avoiding wood but metal should be strong enough still.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Ginazmck Guest

Default RE: 5 year old gates ... safe?

I have 2 used Safety First plastic gates that I got from my next door neighbor from her now 6 year old daughter. I like them MUCH better than the large extension gate we paid alot for. I bought it to keep our son out of the room with the Christmas tree last year and the steps to go to our 2nd floor. He's now 2 years old and has been able to open the latch on the large gate by himself. What's even scarier is that once you snap the latch open, you have to open the gate partway and lift to open it the rest of the way....well that's a scary thing because the metal latch is at his eye level and he doesn't know how to lift it, he just squeezes through.

As long as you check them out, I'm sure used gates can be perfectly fine.