Default dog owners what do you do about tick proofing your dog?

We use frontline with our lab and I know that most of the topical tick products are pretty toxic. I've been doing it at night so that it dries before ds has any opportunity to touch our dog. They are now best of buddies and play quite a bit so I'm wondering if it is really safe once it is dry as I've heard. I've tried to wash that area a day or so after applying the drops. I want it to be effective but I also don't want to have ds touching her if there are any risks. I've felt like the poor dog is treated like a leper until I've washed her. My friend said she has stopped using any tick product however we live in a slighly more suburban environment than she does and also vacation on Nantucket regularly where ticks are a big issue. I would be interested to hear how others are dealing with this issue.

Thanks!

JFC is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default RE: dog owners what do you do about tick proofing your dog?

We do pretty much the same as you. We apply the Frontline at night, after DS goes to sleep. I ***try*** to keep DS from our lab the next morning, but sometimes that works better than others. I subscribe to the thought that although it may be toxic, I prefer that to the ticks and the risks they bring - and where we live we really can't do without it. Anyway, HTH!
    ~Jess
    SAHM to DS1 7/03 and DS2 3/07

ITA with what pp said!
    Holly~Attached mama to Aiden, my happy Pirate & Lillian, my spirited Mermaid fairy
    Cancer survivor!!!! No Evidence of Disease, now and forever!!!

Hi!
    I think what your doing is pretty safe. Check the directions if you haven't already, as I'd worry about washing it off too soon, before the stuff has a chance to spread all over the dog's body (supposedly it's the dog's movement that helps spread it all around).

I just switched to Advantix this summer. I think it works so much better than Frontline. I didn't find a single tick on them all summer, whereas I did w/Frontline. One morning I actually found a tick crawling on my DD's head in her crib! Talk about FREAK OUT!!!!! Also, Advantix kills/repels them before they attach, whereas Frontline kills them only after they are attached to your dog for 24 hrs (which allows the tick to transmit the nasty bacteria).

I'm a little nuts when it comes to ticks, as I got Lyme when we lived in northwest CT. We now have more ticks here in my NH backyard than we ever did in CT! So I would say that whatever minute risk there is to the topical medications, the risk is much much less than any chance of a tick-borne disease (Lyme, babesiosis, Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, etc). Good luck!

~Lenore
    Mom to Acadia (Cadi), born 9/28/04;
    dogs Loka & Colby;
    plus 1 cat, Chelsea!

Just wanted to chime in and say that with Advantix you want to be careful, because while it works well for dogs, it is very toxic to cats! I work in a veterinary hospital and we typically recommend that if you have cats in your household you avoid Advantix. HTH!

Allison
    EDD 10-30-05 It's a girl!