Default automatic door closer?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and didn't find anything. This is more of a DH-proofing question than a baby-proofing question! No matter how many times I ask, remind, beg, yell or nag, DH is absolutely incapable of remembering to close the basement door completely - he pushes it most of the way shut but not to the point where it actually latches. And although Carrie doesn't spend any unsupervised time in the kitchen (where the door resides), accidents happen and I really want to prevent this one!

I've seen two different kinds of automatic door closers: one that replaces a hinge and one that attaches to the frame of the door. The hinge one seems to be mainly in hardware stores, the other one is in baby-proofing catalogs. Does anyone here have/use either? Do you like it? Does it make the door slam or close gently? Can it be temporarily deactivated?

Or are there other suggestions - like maybe giving DH an electric shock every time he forgets? ;)

Thanks!
    Sarah :)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Default RE: automatic door closer?

I asked a similar question in the Lounge about two months ago about how to get DD to always shut the basement stairs so her sister doesn't fall down. Ironically, DD is now pretty good at it, and its DH who is lax. Anyway, Marisa6826 suggested an automatic hinge and I think said she has one. I have been over at a friend's house who has an automatic hinge on her bathroom door just for looks (she likes the door closed) and I think it makes the door close very gently and cannot be temporarily decativated. I think.

If we get one (which I plan to do), I would just use a regular rubber wedge door step to keep the door open if I didn't want it shut on occasion.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9