Default Any ideas for babyproofing a balony (DD can fit through beams on 2nd level)

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a solution to a dilemma. DD is able to fit in between the railings/beams of our balcony that overlooks the main level. While we are always with her supervising, I don't want to become a statistic nor do I want to take the chance of an ER visit any time soon. We tried the rail netting made by Safety First and it was cheaply made, so we returned it. Any one have any luck with anything else?

TIA,

Karin
    DD 11 months

Default RE: Any ideas for babyproofing a balony (DD can fit through beams on 2nd level)

In our old house, there was an unsafe railing in our upstairs hall overlooking the foyer. I doubt my kids could have fit all the way through, but we worried they could squeeze through feet first and get stuck at the neck (yikes!).

Our solution was to use the clear "banister shield" from One Step Ahead. It was easy to use, even on a curved railing. If you have a straight one, it will be even easier. Once it is up, there is no way a baby could break through it.

Take a look: http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...755&change=117

Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Any ideas for babyproofing a balony (DD can fit through beams on 2nd level)

You can also attach Plexiglas to it using zip-ties. We had a babyproofer do it, though, because drilling and cutting plexiglas is hard to do without chipping or spliting. It was around $100 for about 10 ft of railing, which was close to the cost of the plexiglas.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used the bannister shield that Lisa posted. We've had it up for about a year now with no problems! I installed it all myself. We have over 20 ft of bannister to cover (our entire second floor loft/hallway overlooks the foyer).

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
    BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
    (Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg