Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    olwalker Guest

Default Cabinet Locks that you don't have to drill for?

Does anyone know if there are cabinet locks that you can use without drilling holes in your cabinets? We are building a new house and my husband doesn't really want to mess up our new cabinets by drilling into them. I know there are the ones that loop across two knobs on the outside, but are there any better ones out there that I don't know about? I really wanted to use Tot Locks but it seems I'm goign to have a hard time convincint DH to drill! :)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Cabinet Locks that you don't have to drill for?

IMO, the totlocks are totally worth it - you can turn them off when you are working the in the kitchen, they don't show at all, and they last much longer than anything else. I know several two year olds who could get through the loop ones and the ones that you open a bit and then push down. With tot locks, they can't get in as long as the key is out of reach.

The Parents brand loop one (Has three yellow buttons) is harder to get off - but is also harder for the kids, so it would last longer

Can you come to a compromise? Maybe just put totlocks under the sink or on the most dangerous cabinets. Then you can use the loop ones on the other ones that don't have horribly dangerous stuff in.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I believe I saw cabinet locks that attached with sticky adhesive awhile back, from Kidco, but I wonder if they would do more damage to the finish on cabinets in the long run, compared to a couple of holes. I'm also not convinced they'd last very long. My DH isn't a big fan of drilling, either. We just have locks on the cabinet under the sink - that was the compromise.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I actually saw that the tot-locks will be coming out with an adhesive version. I emailed the company and they said that the new locks should be coming out mid-March/early April.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH had the same reservations about "drilling holes". I had a childproofing person do the installation (tot lok) and although the thought of drilling was traumatizing, he agrees that you can't even tell they are there and they don't affectic cosmetic/functionality. In fact he now demonstrates our amazing hidden lock system to all guests! No one knows they are there until they try to open a cabinet. I wish they had something as effective for drawers...
    Nupe

olwalker Guest

Thanks for that info! We will need them for the new house in June or July, so that should be perfect. Hopefully they will work as well as the drilled ones!!! If not we will have to compromise as others have suggested and just do the "dangerous" cabinets. Hey, our children's names are very similar- mine is Kailey Elizabeth and she was born 09-06-05. :)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just saw this and thought I'd add it to the discussion:

http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erube_...kidco.roomid=2

About halfway down the page are adhesive magnetic locks, though it does say "Coming soon".

I haven't run into the Tot Locks brand yet...where are they sold?

Thanks! Amy

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

BRU has them.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My Home Depot has them, too.

Kelli
    Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)

http://lilypie.com/pic/060417/csSG.jpg http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast