I'm due in June, and was asked by people to register at various places so that they would have a choice. Here on some of my thoughts on it:

1. My all-time favorite was www.whattoget.net. I loved that you could choose from any site on the web and compile it in one location. I spent a lot of time searching for the lowest prices, etc. However, honestly only about 10-15% of the guests used whattoget.net, and I have some pretty technologically savvy friends.

2. Babies R Us. Even though it is pricier for a lot of things and has horrible shipping prices, the vast majority of the people bought off this registery. There are only a couple of things left on the registry and its the "boring" stuff like a mattress. Even though people could have bought the Britax roundabout for about $40 cheaper at the place I listed on whattoget.net, they bought it at Babies R Us. People must really like getting things in person.

3. Local baby store. Honestly, only 2 people bought at a local baby store that doesn't have a website, and they were the 2 that asked me to register there. AND-- one didn't even buy anything from the registry. As much as I love to give business to small mom-and-pop places, I honestly don't think that people go there, so I definitely wouldn't make that the only registry.

4. Target. I didn't register at Target because, even though there is one right by my house, I honestly don't like that place. Nevertheless, many people do. And, they have a horrible return policy if you don't have a receipt. I think I should have just succumbed to the peer pressure and registered there because I think that maybe people would have been more likely to include a gift receipt if they had gotten a registry printout. As it was, I received roughly 20 sleepers all in yellow & green Carter's prints (we don't know the gender of our "Junebug")in the 3-6 mos range, and no gift receipts.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but it's just my experiences. Hope this helps! :)