Mabel Guest

Default Discount Stores in Vancouver, British Columbia

Hi, I'm travelling to Vancouver this week, does anyone have recommendations for discount stores there? Where can I purchase strollers, carseats, and other baby gear at a big discount, for a really good deal?

KathyO Guest

Default RE: Discount Stores in Vancouver, British Columbia

Can't help you with Vancouver (I'm in Ontario myself) but just a word of caution - are you living in Canada (Canuckistan as Pat Buchanan so amusingly referred to us) or the States?

If the States, then don't buy your carseat up here. It will carry the Canadian CMVSS sticker and weight limits rather than the FMVSS sticker and weight limits required to make the seat legal in the US. In most cases, it's the exact same seat, but if you got into a crash, your insurance (and/or possibly the cops) could get sticky about you using a non-legal seat.

If you ARE Canadian, then hi, eh? and ignore the above and yez can pummel me with a piece of back bacon when we meet next!

Happy hunting,

KathyO

dubbogod Guest

Default RE: Discount Stores in Vancouver, British Columbia

I don't know if I'm too late for this one, but I'm originally from Vancouver, living in Seattle now, and I find that there aren't really any great deals in Vancouver, even when you factor in the conversion rate. Sometimes you can get a deal going to Toys R Us and find something on sale or get a discount coupon. You have to really do the math and convert it all to decide if it works out cheaper. I do think that some of the higher end strollers, etc. sometimes work out cheaper. Also things like Robeez shoes and some great unique things are available. Try Boomers and Echoes in North Vancouver, or Absolutely Diapers on West 4th in Vancouver. Buying things like diapers, wipes, baby food, etc. definitely works out cheaper if you buy from Save On Foods or Safeway, especially if you buy them on sale. Good luck and have fun! We go up about once a month, so if you have any other questions, just ask!

Shawn